Win2k3 - Convert From Server To Desktop - Upnp

Stead

Hi, by using that nifty guide i got system restore in 2003 (downloaded the demo, what can i say i'm curious, i know it only last 6 months but i find this type of thing all terribly interesting :P)

but, i noticed upnp isn't there, which seems to make things very slow for some programs over the internet, i'm impressed with halo, it seems to run a lot smoother, which higher frame rates, although i can't seem to get the ping as low, on average 30 higher than with xp :( not sure if those 2 things are related.

anywho the system restore is just from xp? could the same thing be done with uPnP do you think? as i'm convinced there isn't much difference between xp and 2003, to me they seem to of left out xp, gone back to 2000 added most the xp features but done it without slowing everything down, although i noticed the dropshadow text on the desktop icons doesn't seem to work on mine.

i've just tried it over the past few days, and apart from the lack of uPnP support, ( i think thats causing it anyway) it seems supirior to xp, on my computer it takes about the same amount of time to load, but over all it seems faster and more responsive, and uses considerably less memory using 170mb at the mo with a few programs opened up including virus scanner msn, those things u'd normally find at home, xp would be using over 200mb just starting up with the same programs loaded in the backgrund.

oh, there was one problem, i installed virtual pc trial from microsoft, to test some installations using nlite see to see what happens, and when you open hte installer it states cannot be installed on this version of windows, then just carries on, runs fine tho.

• 3 weeks later...