Games/benches Too Slow In 98se

wildtollwut

hi!

i recently installed my all-time favourite os win 98se and upgraded it with sp2 and some other stuff.

however, aquamark only gives me a score of around 45000, and i can't get 3dmark 2005 to run at all. well ok, i know, benchmarking isn't all, but i wonder why win 98 performes so bad compared to my previous xp installation (scored 60-65000 there)

perhaps my geforce 6800 gt isn't fully supported by the 9x forceware?

until now i was used to the fact that win 98 se is the best performing os in terms of gaming or isn't that true anymore?!

any help is appreciated.

thanks

What the "other stuffs" are? It's very important. A small enhance application that is poorly designed can clogg the whole system.

It's possible that new games are designed for XP, albeit W98 compatible.

Pre-XP games and application in general should run faster on W98.

If I was you I would dowload Codestuff and check what's running at start up and before you start the game.

Then uncheck anything that's not necessary.

Also, it's not bad re-install the drivers and applications if any of your video card.

Did you install DirectX9?

Because the benchmark extensively utilizes DirectX9, DirectX8 and DirectX7 functionality, it represents the requirements of typical gaming applications in 2003 and 2004.

Minimum Requirements

System: Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, DirectX 9

Graphics card: DirectX 7-compatible 32 MB graphics card with DX9 drivers

Sound card: DirectX 8-compatible sound card

Processor: Pentium/Athlon 750

Memory: 128 MB (256 MB for Win 2000/XP)

Recommended

System: Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, DirectX 9

Graphics card: DirectX 9-compatible 64 MB graphics card

Sound card: DirectX 8-compatible sound card

Processor: 1 GHz Pentium/Athlon

Memory: 256 MB 

And this...?
This is Version 1.53 of Entech's Powerstrip "Direcpll.dll", it is recommended to properly run AquaMark3 with some newer graphics hardware.

It fixes problems like black screens, exceptions/access violations and incorrect clock speed detection.

mhm thanks for your response. i assume the 6800 drivers aren't optimized for w9x anymore :/

too bad...

That would be very surprising.

yep, installed directx 9c and replaced the dll mentioned.

well the "other stuff" is basically nothing of importance.

I'll post a log of my installation: (hope i forget nothing)

installed w98se

installed directx9c and ie6

installed sp2 rc1

ran 98lite (only making on-board stuff optional, not switching to 95-gui etc)

installed latest via hyperion (~4.55?)

installed forceware 66.94

---

the only other programs running are the razer diamondback driver and the keyboard driver (i will try disabling those)

at first i couldn't get aquamark to run, until i used powerstrip's dll and forced antialiasing and anisotripic filtering to "none" in the driver.

3dmark2k5 still won't run (crashes/hangs the system after accessing the floppy at startup)

btw: i already tried another driver (63.xx?) but that didn't help.

(if i can't get it to run, i'll try to reinstall 98se without _any_ additional app but graphics drivers, via hyperion and aquamark)

i'll try codestuff as well, thank you

Either these benchmark tests suck, either one of the component (eg; w98lite) shouldn't have been installed.

The most important question is "Are your games playing fine?" If yes, you don't need benchmarking.

Maybe you should erase your hd and completely reinstall w98 without all the unofficial packs. Then try. Install the packs and try again.

thats what i did yesterday, but the benchmarks didn't change.

well, yes i can play my games (although richard burns rally runs as bad as under win xp). have to try to bench with doom 3, too (but i think opengl just works fine whereas direct3d apps don't (aquamark...))

hi all,

i tried out a few forcewares and somehow aquamark runs smoothly now (with an average score of 59k, i'm satsified with these results) however, the forceware 6x.xx series for win 98/me really seems to be quite buggy, since i can't get to run any opengl app/game properly (it takes 2-3 minutes to start quake and the frame rate is miserable)

i guess i'll have to try out another four or five forcewares until i find one that runs flawlessly. :angry:

Hi, 3Dmark05 won't run on 98, it's not supposed to. You'll have to use '03.

I have a TNT2 32mb on a celeron 300 with the most up to date drivers and that runs great on 98.

Is installing DX before mobo drivers right? Want to know correct order myself :D