Slipstreaming Nvidia Drivers

hamstar

Hey guys hows it going...

First of all, I'm using Windows 2000 with sp4 slipstreamed.

Nvidia:

I was just wondering what parts of the nvidia drivers package I need...

I have the package unzipped and atm, all the files are in 002_gfx ...

Theres an nv4_disp.inf and an nv4disp2.inf file. Will setup pick up only one? Also how can I install dualview at this point... as in 003_tvout?

And the other thing is, will the desktop manager, and tray icon etc be installed by the inf file or will I have to run the setup?

Also, I would very much like to set 1024x768x32@85hz when I boot into windows the first time... is this possible via registry or will I just have to do it manually?

VIA 4in1:

I know where all the drivers are for this once unzipped.

But, can I simply chuck all the inf's etc from the different parts (agpgart, ide, etc) into the same folder and point the winnt.sif file to the folder?

Or do they have to be separate?

I have to slipstream my raid/sata in too, but theres enuff guides on that around to sink a battleship :D

Cheers

hamstar

Astalavista, I absolutely don't see how posting that link is helpful in answering his question.

I have to slipstream my raid/sata in too, but theres enuff guides on that around to sink a battleship :D

Haha.... great sense of humour there. :lol:

But well, its quite difficult despite all those guides. If you'd rather do it easier, you can check out nLite.

VIA 4in1:

I know where all the drivers are for this once unzipped. 

But, can I simply chuck all the inf's etc from the different parts (agpgart, ide, etc) into the same folder and point the winnt.sif file to the folder?

Yep. That's what I do - I hate to see itsy-bitsy files spread all across 15 folders....

A note of caution - put together the correct set in a single folder. You know what i mean... if there's a win95 and win2k agpgart, choose only the win2k files.

Also, I would very much like to set 1024x768x32@85hz when I boot into windows the first time... is this possible via registry or will I just have to do it manually?
This one is easily set from the winnt.sif file (unattended answer file). The [Display] block is what you're looking for, see this page for info - LINK.
Nvidia:

I was just wondering what parts of the nvidia drivers package I need...

I have the package unzipped and atm, all the files are in 002_gfx ...

Theres an nv4_disp.inf and an nv4disp2.inf file.  Will setup pick up only one?  Also how can I install dualview at this point... as in 003_tvout?

And the other thing is, will the desktop manager, and tray icon etc be installed by the inf file or will I have to run the setup?

Oh man.... I love nVidia precisely for this. You need to do nothing more than have that folder listed in the OEMpnpDriversPath (as you already have, I guess). Don't worry about multiple INFs, dual view, desktop manager, tray icon, and all those.... Driver detection will automatically install all that if setup detects an nVidia card present on the system.

What files can you eliminate from the package? I deleted approx 5 MB of files - 8 files I guess, all named *setup*.* (file name). One caution - use the official (signed, WHQL) drivers, otherwise if you use the latest beta driver just for greed, you will see it doesn't work.

All of these which I'm saying are just pointers to info... you'd have to take a look around the forum and read up about it. And why am I not giving all info here?

Because all those questions are already having answers - typing it all up again is tiring. ;)

I hope this helps in some way at least, and sets you on your way.

Do post back with any other questions you may have, and whether it all worked out successfully. :thumbup

Have fun!

Nice info there prathapml, although im having problems getting my head around this

One caution - use the official (signed, WHQL) drivers, otherwise if you use the latest beta driver just for greed, you will see it doesn't work.

Now I only found this out the other day, just after doing a fresh install with my UA DVD. When I first came to MSFN, I was using the 66.93 latest WHQL drivers, and I tried to do it with the 71.20 extreme G drivers but my PC would not get into windows and generate an error daying driver nv4_disp.dll got stuck in a loop.

By now I had still not discovered that you cannot add beta nvidea display drivers, and I have since added 71.21 drivers to my UA disk and last week I did a reformat using it, and the drivers installed!

It was after that I read you supposidly couldnt add beta drivers, very weird.

Haha....  great sense of humour there. :lol:

But well, its quite difficult despite all those guides. If you'd rather do it easier, you can check out nLite.

:D Yeah might do eh...
Yep.  That's what I do - I hate to see itsy-bitsy files spread all across 15 folders....

A note of caution - put together the correct set in a single folder. You know what i mean... if there's a win95 and win2k agpgart, choose only the win2k files.

Awesome... I got ya...

This one is easily set from the winnt.sif file (unattended answer file). The [Display]block is what you're looking for, see this page for info - LINK.

Oh true... so it is... when I tested it, it must not have come up the right res becos the nvidia drivers didnt install properly...

Oh man....  I love nVidia precisely for this. You need to do nothing more than have that folder listed in the OEMpnpDriversPath (as you already have, I guess). Don't worry about multiple INFs, dual view, desktop manager, tray icon, and all those....  Driver detection will automatically install all that if setup detects an nVidia card present on the system.

What files can you eliminate from the package?  I deleted approx 5 MB of files - 8 files I guess, all named *setup*.* (file name). One caution - use the official (signed, WHQL) drivers, otherwise if you use the latest beta driver just for greed, you will see it doesn't work.

Oh thats wicked... but does it still have to be WHQL if I have driver signing turned off...?
All of these which I'm saying are just pointers to info...  you'd have to take a look around the forum and read up about it. And why am I not giving all info here?

Because all those questions are already having answers - typing it all up again is tiring.

Yep I understand...

I hope this helps in some way at least, and sets you on your way.

Do post back with any other questions you may have, and whether it all worked out successfully. :thumbup

Have fun!

It does indeed, that clears up pritty much all my problems... just gotta test it again...

Cheers for all your help, :thumbup

hamstar