Firewire Strategy

Treeman

Seems like you folks know about stuffing drivers, so here's my situation.

Running SP-1 XP Pro right now but will be forced into SP2 by April. I know for a fact that the signed drivers for SP-1 works with my WHQL firewire pci card. I went to SP2 with my firewire stuff plugged in and disaster, nothing worked. No DV camera & no external f.wire drive. Format & install SP-1 XP Pro, everything works again.

What I plan to do is take out (disconnect) anything that has to do with firewire.

Update to SP2, rename SP2cab to SP2cabold, reboot, install f.wire pci card, let XP install the XP SP-1 native drivers for the pci card, plug in external devices, (camera & external h.drive) see if they work. Rename SP2cabold back to SP2cab.

Your opinions on this proceedure are appreciated.

Treeman

What firewire adapter are you using, and what chipset?

I have four systems all running xp sp2 with 1394a and 1394b and have not had any issues using the native drivers with xp sp2.

And is it a firewire adapter issue or a peripheral issue? ie port drivers install and work but devices don't when plugged in?

It's from Startech, Startech combo usb/firewire pci combo card.

Via chipset. MS doesn't support Via in SP2.

Panasonic PV DV52 video camera & external firewire h.drive not funtional after SP2. In drive management, when looking for the external drive, the external drive would hang the computer then give this error message in drive management: "drive unreadable, 0bytes, 0data, this device is functioning properly." :angry:

Like I said formatting, going back to Sp-1 everything workes perfectly.

On my laptop with onboard firewire I had to rename SP2cab to SP2cabold,

Install the Sp-1 drivers:

1394bus.sys

arp1394.sys

nic1394.sys

ohci1394.sys

Now it detects the camera & ext. drive as well. I figure if I don't let SP2 install the drivers in the first place, all will be fine.

Treeman