CascadeMyDocuments doesn't work for me

Dobby

I've tried manually adding this to my Virtual PC nLited XP install and also to my real PC but it doesn't seem to have any affect. Anyone got any ideas?

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

CascadeMyDocuments=YES (REG_SZ)

Incidently, the tweaks for cascading Recent docs, Control Panel and Network Place all work ok.

Also, is it possible to do the same with My Computer? I've not seen this reg tweak anywhere. I've tried applying the same format but it doesn't work. However, as CascadeMyDocuments doesn't work either this doesn't tell me much.

Cheers.

Also, is it possible to do the same with My Computer?
Dobby, I will bless you (or kiss you if you want :lol:) if you can find some tweak to cascade MyComputer.

Been trying to do it since ages....

Until then, you can use my alternative -

1. Right-click taskbar >> Add Toolbar >> New Toolbar >> (select) MyComputer

2. Now unlock the taskbar

3. Drag out the newly created toolbar to desktop.

4. Within that toolbar (which is now seen on desktop) right-click in empty space and (View >> Large icons).

5. Now take your cursor to bottom-right of this toolbar, and resize it (horizontally AND vertically) to make it as small as possible.

6. So now you can see a drop-down menu which you can click your way through.

7. Don't forget to navigate cursor back to taskbar and lock it. That's all.

There's your cascaded MyComputer. You can do this for any folder/virtualFolder. What it does is to force it to display all contents since its not viewable otherwise. This just hapopens to give us the desired effect, so we're happy.

Post back on this please.

please don't feel sad, but....

"Start_ShowMyComputer"=dword:00000002

can be counted as almost useless since it will only show the drives. Cascading all the way to the last object is what I need - of the kind that my alternative provides.

:)

prathapml, when I docked the toolbar back onto the task bar it gave me a double height taskbar and I couldn't make smaller. I did give me the menu though as you said but as Yzöwl's method works I'll be using that. Hope it works for you too :) As you can see from the screen shot it displays the Control Panel (not really necessary) and Shared Docs is this what you were talking about?

Sorry prathapml, I get what you mean now. No, I was just after the top level My Computer. I don't need to actually cascade all the way.

Dobby, you can use that new toolbar method either from taskbar, or drag it out to desktop. Works fine in both cases. You can cascade right to the last file/item in the tree. Now can I do this from the start menu ? Here is a screenshot:

cascade.jpg

In shot1, the toolbar is dragged out to desktop. In shot2, its kept in the taskbar itself. In both cases the functionality is the same, except that I don't like my taskbar being permanently occupied by this.

Yes, I know. But I don't like it on the desktop because unless I've just restarted the machine I can't usually see my desktop and I don't like it in the taskbar because it makes it double height.

Personal taste I guess. Thanks anyway.

I don't like it in the taskbar because it makes it double height.
Is that all? Well, my taskbar is double height because I had enabled large icons for that toolbar, plus its nice to have the double-height because more windows can be accommodated easily (at high resolutions a double-height taskbar works perfectly good).

It is all totally configurable according to your likes.

And yes, its all about personal taste (and functionality ;)). Whatever you are happy with is fine.

Actually, I've found a use for this. I use quick launch quite a bit but it should be redundant after my new XPCD, however the toolbar feature I'd not really used much. I've now added a new toolbar that is mapped to drive M: which is named Music so I get Music (M:) on the toolbar with a >> and clicking on it gives me cascading music list which is nice but not really that new. Just a new way to look at it and my wife has been bugging me to make it easier for her to play her music.

Could you sense a question coming? :)

Is it possible to setup toolbars (and move them to the desired location) by some registry key? I did before and after snapshots of the registry buy couldn't see anything.

Cheers.

Any toolbars that you send away to desktop are not easy to get back in unattended. But if you have left the toolbar in your taskbar, here's what you do:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]
"Default Taskbar"=hex:

That tells you the path, and the exact value where the relevant info resides.

Set all the toolbars you want, configure it, and then restart once. Then export the above mentioned, to a .REG (add it to your regtweaks.reg if that's how you do it). Note that the above key is the same one as the one for the quick-launch - so if you were having problems with enabling that previously, you might have the same here as well (though its actually very easy). Also, if you want a HKCU tweak (like the above) to be propagated to all users, you should apply it at T-12.

Does it work for you?

Sweet! It works! Some things take effect when logging off and back on (such as Start_ShowMyComputer) but with this one you definately need to restart for it to take effect.

Just one thing, the binary key is called TaskbarWinXP on Windows XP Pro SP1 or SP2.

Thanks again prathapml. You deserve the kiss ;)