explorer.exe - application error, terminate...

sven

im having this sudden problem with my computer. its a windows xp home sp2.

any time i open up a folder (any folder) it gives me this error

The instruction at "0x0423d065" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  the memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

then explorer crashes

i looked on google for information on how to fix this, and nothing helps. this only happens if i use explorer to open folders. any other program works, and all the other programs can navigate through the files. i have no idea whats doing this. any help would be nice as i cant do crap with my computer until its fixed. thanks

Hey, Sven:

Do you have an email scanner or real-time file protector? Norton's have been in the past deternined to cause Windows Explorer crashes.

On another system i fixed a similar Windows Explorer problem that was not cured by Repair, by uninstalling IE(i used XPLlite), then i re-installed AutopatcherXP: telling it to over-install everything-- even older & lower-version files. This fixed the problem, and i was subsequently able to hit Windows Update-- as that autopatcher was months old. It was like a miracle-- couldn't do anything before the fix.

The difference now for you would be that the Autopatcher was released days ago & should have everything.

Hopefully the forthcoming 13 announced patches by MS won't cause any issues<g>.

Good luck, all the best.

all lifetime win xp updates/patches, plus a bunch of system tweaks & popular third-party utilities: all in one single install.

latest release info: http://www.neowin.net/forum/?showtopic=274125

home, not updated with just-released version yet: http://www.autopatcher.com/autopatcherxp.html

Actually i assume you have done the obvious: chkdsk, SFC / scannow, MS knowledge base, run spybot/adaware/etc.

that error could be anything: damaged system file, malware, there's one such issue re too many images in folders, fixed by one of the ms patches, another re too many fonts installed fixed by another hotfix(increases the font cache size), also shared/edited/deleted/multiple instances of shared folders worked on by multiple peopl w/ Office or the adobe Photo suites: disassociate Adobe products from being the default image app associated w/ the various format to fix one such issue. Bad Ram, overheating, hard disk problems, protected recycle bin/ undelete utilities, try toggling on/off file indexing(not too long on-- it's the worst drainage of computer resources)...

the other previous mentions: any Norton product, system file protecting/ scanning apps, email scanners......

good luck......