Upgrading to RAID...

gui_m

I was thinking about upgrading to RAID but I have no experience with it so i'd like to ask you all this. I wanted to place two partitions in a RAID drive; one for windows and one for my documents. Now, when i go to format windows (i.e. the first partition) this will have no effect on the secondary... right ? :(:unsure:

thx :thumbup

A RAID array (no matter what configuration) will show up as one physical drive in Windows Setup. From there you can easily create multiple partitions if you need to.

Are you sure you know how to set up a RAID array? What motherboard and hard drives do you have?

okay I have a ASUS P4C800-E and i was thinking about buying 2 Raptors @ 10,000RPM and putting them with RAID 0. I know it'll show up as one HD and now i know that i can partition it. But messing around with one partition will have no affect on the other, i.e. reinstalling windows on the primary partition will still leave my movies in the other partition intact... :huh:

It depends on what kind of array we're talking about. RAID0 provides no redundancy so removing a drive from the array destroys the lot. With RAID1 you can remove one (sometimes more than one) drive and still have an exact duplicate on the other drive(s). While the disks are online, any changes you make to one are permanently mirrored on the other drive. So, you couldn't copy "My Documents" to only one drive and not have the other drive reflect the change.