$OEM$ copies now, but cmdlines.txt wont run.

Bilou_Gateux: That did not work.. It caused the files in $OEM$ to not even be copied to the C Drive.

gunsmokingman: Yes, I am using smartdrive, and for my testing I have been using FAT, not NTFS.

Further testing shows: If I use winnt32.exe to kick off the install, it WORKS... But, does not work when using winnt.exe from DOS.

It is as if the files in the root of $OEM$ are not copied by the DOS portion of the install (before the first reboot).. Maybe I need to modify DOSNET.INF? Or copy the files myself before starting winnt.exe?

$oem$ should not get copy

stuff inside of the $oem$ folder should

example

XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\002_graphics

after copy to Hard drive

YOURHD:\Drivers\002_graphics

XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\004_sound

after copy to Hard drive

YOURHD:\Drivers\004_sound

These Folder Do Not Get Copy But The Content

Do Get Copy During The Install.

XPCD\$OEM$\

XPCD\$OEM$\$1

XPCD\$OEM$\$$

XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs

XPCD\$OEM$\$Progs

XPCD= CDROM:\

That Because I Do Not No What Your Computer Set Up Is

After The Copy The Location Should Some Thing Like This

Location=Hard Drive Or Partition Letter

Why Dont You Just Make A CD To Boot From Far Easier And Faster

To Install.

Assuming your destination HDD has already a FAT partition, why don't you first copy your $OEM$ dir to the root of the HDD partition and then launch the install with WINNT.EXE with a batch file.

I'm using this method to install W2K from WinPE with a modified batch file and launching WINNT32.EXE

Source Code (original from BartPE modified to my needs):

u32.cmd

Take care this sample code works only from WinPE (using diskpart.exe)

The command i use is U32 -f U:\XPCD\I386 C:

I only use the second option -f, the code isn't clean as i haven't removed unneeded original lines for installing BartPE as primary OS.

I haven't used this method a long time ago, thanks to my RIS Server.

it's just a suggestion to help you doing the same from DOS with a batch file.

This link can help you to build your tree for UA install from a distribution share (local HDD or network share)

Installing Windows XP Professional and Hotfixes in Unattended Mode

At this point, I broke something because the files in $OEM$\$1 and $OEM$\$$ dont copy anymore!

I had this problem before: HERE

But, moving the $OEM$ folder under i386 fixed the problem. I think I have changed everything back to the way it was before I tried to add the cmdlines.txt feature, but still nothing is copied.

After the first reboot, I see the $OEM$ folder under $WIN_NT$.~ls... but it gets lost somewhere along the way. :realmad:

Maybe I will take the advice of seeing it it works from CD.. if it does, I will copy all of the $OEM$ stuff with a BAT file... Not as clean as I would like, but I am running out of options.

Ah! I just looked back at the entire thread and recall that I added "$OEM$" to the [OptionalSrcDirs] of DOSNET.INF in an effort to get the cmdlines.txt to copy.

Just removed it, and testing it again now.

Do you have the following lines in your unattended.txt? It will vary depending on the path and the name of the shared directory:

[SetupMgr]
   DistFolder=c:\winxp\I386
   DistShare=winxp$

In my example, I have a folder on the server's C: drive called "winxp", and it is being shared as "winxp$"

Also, just to be sure -- is regtwks.reg sitting in the root $OEM$ folder, in the same place as cmdlines.txt?