Imaging Software with a twist

stevegillette

I'm looking for suggestions on how to pull off PC imaging with the following restrictions:

1. None of the hardware is standardized and it would be too cost prohibitive to do so.

2. This is for a test lab environment.

3. I have to have the ability before the OS loads to either select Reimage or Keep Current Configuration.

4. The images must be sent via network, not via burned CD/DVD.

I'm already looking at Ghost, but I'm unsure how to get #3 implemented. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Not sure whether one software package will accomplish what you're looking to do.

However; that being said, a combination of:

Symantec Ghost

Binary Research Universal Imaging Utility

Sysprep

and batch files

should do the job.

Check them out, good luck.

using pretty much just ghost and sysprep i have a image similar to what you are looking for. no hardware restrictions, delivered via network. only thing i dont have is the ability to choose to keep current config. any machine i want imaged, i boot from a cd, and let it rip.

I just looked at Acronis, it looks like their Corporate Workstation product looks to be what we're looking for. We can come off the network requirement, since it gives you the option at boot to reimage or use the drive as normal. Thank you all for all your advice.

I have to say that I am a little bit surprised that no one on this forum mentions the latest Solution Accelerator from Microsoft for Desktop Deployment. Download at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopde...ddoverview.mspx

The Standard edition includes a well documented and easily customizable deployment method including specific instructions on the use of Ghost that may give you your most complete starting point.

From the detailed & complete build environment, to the WinPE Cd creation tools, to the aforementioned deployment method using Ghost or any other third party imaging product, it really is a turn key solution.

Check it out!

RIS seems like the best choice here, and if you have a Windows server, you already own it. It will let you use the scripted-build expertise of these forums with only minor modifications, and support as much hardware as you want to add drivers for.

It also allows custom menus at build time so you can choose to re-image or just leave it alone.