Random Restarts After Building PC

Zelida

I've just recently bought computer parts to build my very first computer.

Here are the primary parts I've bought:

-ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

-AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton", 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor

-XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, Dual DVI, AGP 8X, Model "PVT43AND"

-Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model L01P120

-Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 (Two sticks)

-Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive Black, Model DW-D22A-B2

So, upon installing Windows XP Pro SP2 Integrated, everything in the install and before goes smoothly. When coming into Windows for the first time, things seem okay. But there are random restarts all the time happening in Windows. The restarts never seem to happen consistently either. It could happen every few minutes or so, or it may not restart for an hour or so.

I've gotten so many random error screens(the blue screens) that I have no clue what is wrong. I've been talking to someone I know that knows more about this in detail, but they're lost as to what could be wrong.

Maybe it's some weird compatibility issue. I would like for someone to look at what I have here, and see if there's any issue as to something not working with another device.

The errors I get when I come back into Windows state that it could be a Graphics Device Error, or that the CPU has reported a hardware error, or that there's just a hardware error, period. Sometimes the error says there's a RAM issue.

I really have no clue what could be going on. My friend has helped me over the internet with what to try to get it to not restart randomly anymore, but things have not seemed to help.

I've tried using an old IBM 20GB HDD to install an OS on since it supports FAT32 and whatnot, and yet with that hdd, there are still random restarts. Something is causing the restarts, and with those restarts, it corrupts my Windows XP. Can't seem to find anything that will fix this completely.

Thanks for reading.

If all those parts are new....did you replace the power supply with a minimum 300 watt unit? Good quality, like Antec? Also, go into the BIOS settings and check the temps in hardware monitor - make sure the cpu is not overheating. anything over 6o deg C is too high......

MB Temperature - 24C/75F

CPU Temperature - 49C/120F

VCORE Voltage - 1.69V

+3.3V Voltage - 3.29V

+5V Voltage - 4.78V

+12V Voltage - 12.86V

CPU Fan Speed - 3835 RPM

CHASSIS FAN SPEED - 0 RPM

POWER FAN SPEED - 0 RPM

Q-Fan Control - [Disabled]

Fan Speed Ratio - 10/15

Speed UP/DOWN Response Time - 4 sec/8sec

my experience has been that random restarts are generally RAM errors. I would try the program "goldmemory" (google it... plenty of hits). It is a program that you actually boot to that tests your ram. If there's a fault in there, it'll find it. I'd test 1 stick at a time

good luck

Thanks.

I'm actually trying to go on one stick in Windows for now and seeing if that works.

So far, no restarts yet. I'll see what happens in the next 10 hours or so and then make my realization if it's just bad RAM.

If you have not done so yet....go to asus web site and confirm that the RAM you got is compatible with your mobo.....they will have a link to a list of all RAM that passes thier testing and you should not use anything that is not on that list! Mobo's are notoriously finicky about what RAM they will use.....