Permanent autoarrange in Start Menu!

You could create a file called "MenuOrder.reg" in your windows directory (or \$OEM$\$$\ directory), like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MenuOrder"="regedit /s menuorder.reg"

, then add the following line to CMDLINES.TXT like so:

"regedit /s menuorder.reg"

Not only will it clear the start menu order, it will also sort the favorites menu.

It's clear the start menu order or you mean rearrange it alphabetically? Will this method work if I place it in my registry tweaks file or I will need to make it separate? Don't you mean $1 instead of $$ for the location?

PryGuy's vbs script worked fine for me but it's had the unwanted side-effect of auto arranging my favourites in Internet Explorer - I don't like that. I don't want to have to run my disc again as I've spent a while setting a few things up - can anyone tell me how to reverse this without reinstalling minus the VBS script?

Cheers.

Sorry about the delay. My job has been trying to kill me by making me work long hours 6 and 7 days a week. It's a proverbal (and literal if you let it) killer job out in the summer heat. Anyway, I hope the following answers help. Here we go:

@Sgt_Strider:

It's clear the start menu order or you mean rearrange it alphabetically? Will this method work if I place it in my registry tweaks file or I will need to make it separate? Don't you mean $1 instead of $$ for the location?

This registry tweak arranges the start menu (as well as the favorites list, I think) alphabetically when the computer boots or the user logs on again from the log-in screen. You are correct, it should be $$ instead of $1. Also, you probably should use this registry file in the $OEM$\$$ folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]

and the following lines in your registry tweak file:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MenuOrder"="regedit /s menuorder.reg"

@oneless:

another related question.

can i sort silent in some way the APPlications folder ?

start Menu -->

--> All Programs -->

--> APPlications -->

--> .. i keep here all links to my applications silently installed with WPI .

-->

-->

I would think so. If you can delete the menuorder, it should (and I empathize SHOULD) stand to reason that you can force a particular order. Try this: once you've set up your Start Menu the way you like it, go into RegEdit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERS, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Explorer, MenuOrder. Export the key you are at to a file. You should then be able to apply these settings by modifying the "REGEDIT /S" line with the filename that you exported the settings to.

@Matthewk:

Is there a way to sort the desktop icons alphabetically as well? Thanks

Not sure about the desktop icons. When I navigated to that registry key, I did not see a subkey for the desktop. I would guess that the key is somewhere in the registry. I'll see if I can find the settings on my computer.

@Msfn11:

if you actually go to menuorder registry to edit permission, what kind of permission will you give to user and system.? READ only.?

Huh? You can do that? How, pray tell! Maybe we can get rid of this menu order clearing garbage!!! (EDIT: via registry files, I mean!)

Edited by dougiefresh

• 1 month later...

Hi everone

I know this thread is getting old, but I would just mention what I did.

I don't like having extra files laying around if they aren't needed. So I just added this to my tweaks.reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run]
"AlphaMenuOrder"="CMD /C REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Explorer\MenuOrder /f"

@Msfn11:

QUOTE(msfn11 @ Jun 6 2005, 11:44 AM)

if you actually go to menuorder registry to edit permission, what kind of permission will you give to user and system.? READ only.?

Huh? You can do that? How, pray tell! Maybe we can get rid of this menu order clearing garbage!!! (EDIT: via registry files, I mean!)

right click on the key and select permissions. i found a hack for this once that actually worked it kept it alphabetized but i cant remember what to do....

• 1 month later...