Why activate Windows server with Microsoft?

jpatto

Whenever i reinstall Windows Server 2003 it prompts me for activation as expected. I saved the activation files (wpa.dbl etc etc) from the last installation and try to copy them over to the system32 directory so i dont need to activate my copy. This for some reason doesnt work. When i log in it says i need to activate it with microsoft logs me out and i attempt to sign back in and allows me to. Anyone know whats going on here and why? do i need to save some registry key too?

Thanks

I have activated my version of Windows Server and it works fine. All i want to know is how i could save my activation file to avoid having to call MS. To tell you the truth i dont like calling MS at all i feel like im being controlled for software I purchased

I believe I understand what you are saying. At first log in it says you need to activate, right? If you don't activate it logs you back out. If you try to log back in it lets you? Is this correct?

almost right........

i log in

asks for activation

copy my previous activation files (wpa.dbl, wpa.bak and even wpabaln.exe)

log off/ log on

Error message received "You need to activate your product with MS......)

logs me out

i log in again - it allows me

I use copy and paste (from a floppy with the previous installations wpa.dbl etc files that i saved) to the system32 folder it asks me to overrite - i select yes. Theres no hardware changed or anything same partition/ hardware etc

Just a thought in case anyone from Microsoft reads this: there are many wizards for transferring files, settings and other things in Windows. Wouldn't it be a wonderful idea with a wizard for backing up the product activation - for instance making a product activation floppy? You could tie the information stored on the floppy to the CPU serial number and the BIOS date, and encrypt it beyond recognition. During installation Setup could provide two options: to enter a new 25-digit product key like usual or to read the license number and WPA info from a floppy. This way you'll still have to activate the first time but never to reactivate.

Just a thought

:)