Win2k unattend works w/ Intel 845 + 865, not 925?

s.stormont

I have a Windows 2000 unattended CD that has drivers for a Intel 845 board (sound, video, NIC) and an Intel 865 (sound, video, NIC) and the disk works fine when used on either of those motherboards. Structure is as follows:

drivers.jpg

I added the drivers for an Intel 925XCV. When I try and use the CD on a system with a 925XCV, Windows 2000 setup now freezes on the screen right after you specify the computer name and administrator password.

If I use an earlier version of the disk that does not have any of the 925 drivers on it, it works fine. The earlier version of the CD does not have the "03_VIDEO\Nvidia" directory, the "05_SATA" directory, the "02_NIC\Marvell" directory, or the "04_SOUND\925" directory.

Is there a limit to the length of the "OemPnPDriversPath" entry in the winnt.sif file? Line currently reads:

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\01_INF;Drivers\02_NIC\PRO100;Drivers\02_NIC\PRO1000;Drivers\02_NIC\Marvell;Drivers\03_VIDEO\865;Drivers\03_VIDEO\845;Drivers\03_VIDEO\Nvidia;Drivers\04_SOUND\865;Drivers\04_SOUND\845;Drivers\04_SOUND\925;Drivers\05_SATA"

If a driver isn't used, windows will just skip the directory, right? So it must be a length issue?

Steve

Problem appears to have been with the ForceWare drivers. I had extracted them and then placed the path in OemPnPDriversPath. If I left everything else, but removed that, it worked fine.

I see that people have gotten the Nvidia drivers to work with XP, but what about an unattended 2000 CD?

I see that people have gotten the Nvidia drivers to work with XP, but what about an unattended 2000 CD?

1. create $OEM$\cmdlines.txt as below

[COMMANDS]

"InstallDriver.cmd"

2. create $OEM$\InstallDriver.cmd as below

@echo off

title Installing Drivers

echo.

echo Installing Nvidia Video Drivers 61.76

start /wait %systemdrive%\Drivers\002_graphics\setup.exe /s /v"/qb"

EXIT

3. create $OEM$\$1\Drivers\002_graphics & extract the detonator drivers here

it will install silently during the setup

And the above method might end up rebooting your system halfway thru setup because the driver installer wants to. :P

The method for XP and 2k is the same - use OEMpnpDriversPath. It will work if your drivers aren't inherently defective.

I believe the OEMPnpDriversPath is limited to 256 chars in winnt.sif.  Here is the official hack to use longer paths:  KB277705  :rolleyes:

(A bit off topic maybe, but I just happened to remember)

APPLIES TO

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

is from that KB article you linked to...

It IS 4096 ;) Check the deploy.chm in the Deployment Tools ;)

This is so weird. The drivers posted by prathapml are the ones I am using. I tried to re-download them just to make sure mine weren't corrupt and it did the same thing, but only on a 925 board. If I use my disk on a 845 or 865 board with an Nvidia card installed, it works fine. But it freezes on a 925 board with an Nvidia card installed.

This is so weird.  The drivers posted by prathapml are the ones I am using.  I tried to re-download them just to make sure mine weren't corrupt and it did the same thing, but only on a 925 board.  If I use my disk on a 845 or 865 board with an Nvidia card installed, it works fine.  But it freezes on a 925 board with an Nvidia card installed.

Did you include the 925 chipset drivers? That might be the problem...