Two questions regarding XP Home VS Pro

TxITdude

Ok, we are about to upgrade 180+ pc's to XP. My question is what are the main difference between the two? We are in a mostly netware inviorment but may need to login to a MS domain. Second question, is there a bump up from home to pro?

Thanks for the help!

You don't get the Remote Desktop Connection functionality with XP Home either which you do in the Pro version. Good free tool for helping users. File sharing and other networking issues can be tricky as well.

You can connect to a domain with Home but its a real hack to do it. I would say if you are only talking about two or three computers it would be worth the hack but a 180 machines?......absoulutly not.

Also, Remote Desktop has saved me a lot of foot steps here where I work.

Pro is definently the way to go.

Definitely NOT Home for you-- this is a bit dated, but telling, by Paul Thurrott-- Pro features that aren't in Home Edition: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

But this article nicely complements it: explains some points more practically & in detail, has a handy compare chart: By Jim Boyce, Tech Republic,

http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/apps/0,390...00221c-1,00.htm

And, don't mean to tell you your business, but hopefully you can negotiate a bangup corporate upgrade special--have as a goal to get Pro for as close to as Home as po$$ible-- be real firm on it: hem & haw: throw waiting for longhorn release out, let slip competitors' names, stall w/ i'll get back to you(even if you can't wait)... you know why?

Because street prices for us peasants are about equal for both-- in fact, past price searches from time to time unearth Pro lowest.....

Continued success, all the best to you......