xp 2 won't slipstream

jadgate

Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched in the forum and didn't find anything.

I've downloaded XPCreate, installed it in a directory called XPCreate. I am using a Vol. Licence XP SP1 CD for source. I've put XP SP2 in the \XPCreate\SPACKS. XPCreate runs and creates the ISO. However, when it gets to the SP2 integration process, the extraction happens, and then I get an update.exe has crashed error, a log has been generated (but XPcreate keeps going, reporting a sucessful integration). SP2 is NOT integrated into the CD Source, even though XPCreate reports that it has (I have checked the ISO, and the files are not dated October 2004, but 2003). I've put it in the root directory and created an i386 folder, none of which seems to have fixed the problem. If there is another forum thread where this issue has been posted and resolved, please post it.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes, there is a workaround. Extract the service pack files and go into the Update folder. Rename setupapi.dll to oldsetupapi.dll, or something else, and then run update.exe. It will allow you to slip the SP on Win2K boxes.

This is to be done outside of XPCREATE.

It was brought to GM's attention for consideration with the next release of XPCREATE.

Thanks, Homie.

For clarification, once I replace the dll, I can run XPCreate, or do I need to manually create CDROOT files (slipstream SP2 into the original CD, then run XPCreate) which kind of defeats the purpose, but it would still create an ISO I could burn with SP2 integrated. I've tried other methods and they give me the same error.

Jim

This is what I have done with XPCREATE.

1. Ran XPCREATE the first time create the required folders. You will have several, with some like SVC-XXX and so on.

2. Created a Root folder and copy the contents of an original XP Pro CD, with NO SERVICE PACK applied.

3. Extraced SP2 and renamed setupapi.dll in the \update folder.

4. Ran update with the /integrate switch. For example, mine would look like:

d:\xp\sp2\i386\update\update.exe /integrate:d:\xpcreate\sp2\root

5. Once that was done, my root was now at SP2, and was done within Windows 2000.

XPCREATE will try to slip the SP without renaming the .dll file, which, like I said, GM would consider (hopefully) with the next release of XPC.

It creates less problems to get the root folder at the proper SP level, then let XPCREATE do the rest.

• 2 weeks later...