Divx on Laptop

Readiosys

Hi guys !

I bought a laptop for Christmas and would like to play my Divxs on it.

I also have a Dell workstation (P4 2.66MHz 1024MB ram) and the playback is very smooth, even with the full quality settings.

Now, What I don't understand is that the playback is not very smooth (image hangs, but sound keeps going on) on my laptop, which has a Pentium 4-M running at 3.06MHz (thus, a bit better than my one year old Dell workstation, I would think), with 512 MB ram.

The software configuration is exactly the same, thanks to my unattended DVD on the workstation and the laptop and I am using K-Lite Codec Pack and Winamp 5 for the Divx playback.

I assume it has to do with the fact it is a mobility processor, but still, it is 3.06MHz !!!

Do you please have a logical explanation to that ?

Thanks.

you have a codec conflict. Uninstall winamp, k-lite codec pack. reboot and then install just the divx codec at divx.com. The basic dl is free. Make sure you have latest Direct X and that graphic accel is at full.

Also, try VideoLan 8.1. It rarely has problems playing vids.

Codec Packs seem like a great thing, but they often cause more conflicts than they resolve.

Thank you for your answer, but just for my understanding, if it is a codec conflict, why does it work fine on my desktop PC and sluggish on my laptop ?

I used the same unattended dvd so it is *exactly* the same configuration;

Thank you very much;

probably the different config and settings used by your vid card (like YUV, pixel shading, z-buffer, etc). I have an ATI7500 mobility that plays smoothly, but when i used a distro cd with a desktop 7500 pci card it had problems with full screen vids so i understand your frustration

• 3 weeks later...