Create groups in active directory

First you have to understand groups scope to know what group should you use.

1. Domain Local Group are used primarily to assign access permissions to global groups for local domain resources. These groups can include members from any domain within the forest, trusted domain in other forists and from trusted down-level domains-

2. Global Groups are used primarily to categorize membership in domain local groups

3. Universal Groups are used to gran acess to resources in all trusted domains

If you want just to group users i.e. after department they work in, then just use default "Global Group" and group type "Security"

thanks - although i understand where your coming from what im after is to set up a small group just for testing purposes so i can get a user to logon on with the restrictions that i apply. Im unsure how to do this at the moment so help on what i need to do would be appreciated.

Cheers

Open "Active Directory Users and Computers", right-click your Domain and select "New>Organizational Unit", give it a name. Create or move some Users into that OU, then right-click the OU and select "Properties". Click on the "Group Policy" tab, click "New", give the policy a name, then change/set any policies you see fit in the "Administrative Templates" section, then OK etc......

Edit: Click "Start>Run", then type "secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy" (without the quotes!) and click OK. :w00t: