2003 DNS Server

traker1001

Ok, I am playing with 2003 Ent. trial right now, Specifically the DNS server, I like it alot better than 2000's DNS server. Coupe of questions....

1st can someone tell me is Enterprise the only version of 2003 that has DNS server.

2nd Question my sources tell me I can have 2003 enterprise with 25cal for about $800, Can anyone tell me where I can get it for less, Possibly fewer CAL's?

3rd I paid $900 for my 2000 Adv Server, Is it me or does it seem M$ server software is actually getting a little cheaper.

And last this is more of a confirmation, It seems 2003 Active directory is a little faster than it was on 2000, Or is it just me.

All versions of Windows Server 2003 have DNS server.

Purchase your Server produce from a reputable source, such as Dell. You can get standard Server with only 5 cals for cheaper. Enterprise is meant for big business so why would they sell it with less than 25?

I am not sure about cost...

I believe that AD in 2k3 is a little faster, but I don't know for sure.

Ok, I take it you dont recomend Enterprise. WE are a corporation of about 8600 people across the US. $800 really isnt all that much, It seems that Enterprise Is the only one that has everything that we need. The Support for multiple Vitual Host web sites, DNS server, AD, The support for our cluster services, The support for upto 8 processors. Am I wrong do the others have this stuff?

$800 isnt all that much, And No it is not the OEM, Yes I do know what that means. I would not risk my job over a few hundred bucks.

Of course for company with that user profile, sure you should use it. I thought you just want to buy it 4 yourself :) anyway, eveythin you named (except CPU support) you can find in Standard Edition. Standard Edition supports up to 4 CPUs, but has all those services you need, and probably it's a bit cheaper.

Just paid $2400 for Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium w/15 CALs. SBS Prem comes with SQL server, Enterprise server, Outlook 2003 licenses for each CAL, Sharepoint Services and a whole list of other stuff... For an office of less than 20 people at this time, it's a beautiful piece of work.

In defense of IBM and any other BIG name source (purchased through Dell myself) they offer great customer support for these products and you can guarantee they are legit. Also, you can purchase Open license products through these sources, where as through a lot of "relailers" you can not.