weird Explorer problem with Win2000

That used to happen on a xp unattended cd that used to have some error and it doesn't finish at all, you may need to analyze your code, have you tested it in some other computer? i'm having that kinda problem once again the thing is my installation cd doesn't even install internet explorer etc... BUT i'm pretty sure my code is just right, i'm thinking.. what if my media is just messy? i guess i'll test that later on a new media. or perharps if your code is just fine (like mine) and you find another reason, please let me know.

It's due to the order i run some updates (IE6SP1, SCRIPT, DX9c) from SVCPACK.

I never would have thought that updates/patches could cause such a thing. I already ran the install with ALL reg tweaks turned off and it didn't help. I guess I'll try it again without any hotfixes and see what happens...

@Professor Frink

What method are you using to install Updates and HotFixes ?

I have reproduced the issue (it's fun to generate issues just to know how to fix it later B) ) with my last XPCreate installation:

The problem occurs when i install IE6SP1 from SVCPACK

IE6SETUP.EXE /Q:A /R:N

and launch the command (SFX IExpress package)

rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess to register all the stuff.

Then you apply all IE Hotfixes without first waiting the end of registration by the previous command and the update process will fail.

The workaround is to run other OS HF between or add a delay before running IE HF.

I have posted details in XPCreate: Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 5 (SP5)

You can have a look at my SVCPACK.INF in the same thread.

Using this batch file to install IE6SP1 and all HF related to IE6SP1 will reproduce the issue:

IE6SETUP.EXE /Q:A /R:N 
MSXML3.EXE /Q:A /R:N
SCRIPTFR.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB833989.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB870669.EXE /Q:A /R:N
ROOTSUPD.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB823353.EXE /Q:A /R:N
KB887797.EXE /Q /U /O /N /Z
KB889669.EXE /Q /U /O /N /Z

You can also notice you can't launch the Add/Remove Programs Wizard from Control Panel.

Then uninstall IE6SP1 using the command posted here and reboot.

The problem is now solved and you have the original IE5 from W2K installed.

Well, I figured out what the problem was -- it was the 873374 hotfix (the GDI Tool one). Since it's a useless hotfix anyway, someone had created a fake one that tells Windows that it's installed, and I've been using that under XP. I then put it into my 2000 installation and apparently it doesn't quite work! So I took that out and just applied that one reg tweak that does the same thing:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool]
"GDITool"=dword:00000001

Now everything is fine. So apparently it had nothing to do with the order of hotfixes being installed. It was just me applying a bad one! :blushing: