Intermittent Freezing

emvee

I have a Compaq Presario 7585, with Windows XP Pro, since the New Year came around, I've been experiencing some serious freezing no matter what screen I'm on, even on my Desktop. :realmad: When I reboot, it goes away only temporarily and starts up again. I had Norton Antivirus on my system, but it couldn't find anything to clean out and fix the problem. I also ran Spybot S&D and Adaware SE edition. I even reloaded Windows XP Pro out of frustration and started my programs from scratch again, but still have the same problem. :wacko:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or what I can do to fix my glitch in my system???

I'm assuming Virus or Trojan, worst case scenario.... Hope not.....

emvee

B)

Sounds familiar;

1) Did you by any chance install Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta? I did. And after about 24 hours it made my computer to crawl. Had to restart and everything was ok for a while, and again crawling.... And crashed my Office XP Pro!!!! Couldn't open any office files before I restarted my computer.

Naturally uninstalled, and ever since everything has been ok.

2) I think (not sure about this!!!!!), that Symantec (Norton) had some kind of malfunctioning installer on their update; ( this was before that AntiSpyware incident) I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and SystemWorks 2005 premier installed (have had Norton since 1998 I think), and got the usual updates. After the updates Norton AntiVirus was working ok, Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier was ok, but the firewall was real slow when opening it and I couldn't change my firewall settings. And my computer was overall acting real slow. Couldn't find the solution.

Uninstalled all Symantec products, reinstalled them all, and everything was working great/ as supposed to.

This might be an issue concerning only my computer, but after reinstalling all the Symantec products, I got an update which seemed to me to be a batch file. I do not know, and most definately, I do not understand what happened, but it solved my problems.

I would have told you to use system restore to roll back to a time that your computer was not freezing. Since you have reinstalled XP then that is no longer an option. There are many different possible causes for your problem.

1. If you have an older computer and try to run anything that comes from Symantec then you are looking for trouble. Use a good antiviri instead of Norton, something like AVG.

2. If you have any new programs that you have installed since the freezing problem then uninstall it and try it.

3. Also, I have seen the problem stem from a power supply that is going bad and doesn't provide constant voltage and current to your system.

Post the results of your findings ;)

I actually did reply, but I could post, I froze up again and got locked out. I Reboot, but I couldn't get back online again until now, about 3 hrs. later. WEIRD. :}

So, before I freeze up again, I checked the cooling fan, and it's working fine. I removed Symatec by the reinstall of Windows so couldn't go back on that one. Also, no AntiSpyware Beta was installed. Just the two I mentioned, Spyware S&D, and Adaware SE. Not sure about the bad wiring, but I'm gonna check it out. My system is turning on about 6 or 7 yrs old now, so it's probably time to start rewire the old dinasour anyhow. I'll keep digging around. As soon as I find a remedy, I'll post it just in case anyone else comes up with the same problem. :)

Oh yeah, missed one... I did do a system restore, but ended up with the same scenario. But thanks for the suggestion.....

As for the power supply, do I change my cord or is there something internal I should update or be concerned about???

Thanks guys..... ;)