The best anti-spyware for XP professional

coocy

I've found AdAware (freebie version) is very effective for after the fact problems. I'm leaning more towards it now (used to be a big SpyBot head).

I (when cleaning junked up PCs)...

1. Scan with AdAware (free) [don't quarrantine, it'll do it automatically]

2. Set kill bits with Spyware blaster (why this 2nd? becuz then step 3 will tell me that I already have JavaCool's SpywareBlaster installed :) )

3. Run SpyBot Search & Destroy (enabling the additional immunizations) then scan

4. (optional) if the computer user isn't a total dummy (er... inexperienced) then I enable the Spybot Resident "Tea Timer". It intercepts every little browser change and startup registry entry and asks you Yes/No and "remember this answer" for everything it intercepts (well until you say remember :) )

Spybot, in advanced mode, has some very cool options for startup items (without the annoying message that MSConfig gives), activeX, Browser Helper Objects, search page lists, etc.

Be VERY careful with anything that advanced (especially HiJack This) as you can severly mangle your system.

You may still have a straggler or two on your system after this, but that's why I like those advanced mode options.

I've also had to have a command prompt open to the malwares folder with a "rename" command from BLAH.exe to BLAH.otherthanexe and the task list openned. So when I ended the process, it couldn't rerun or worse, rename itself.

MS Antispyware beta (it isnt real beta) is probably best solution U can find...

Smeeeprig: Agree... I was really surprised, when I found out, that killbits + restricted sites is really good choice for bigger companies - after aplying them I wasnt able to get any spyware for further testing purposes...

2JoeMSFN: HijackTHis is great tool for providing help from IT pros to BFUs... Save log, send it to me and I will tell U what to do.