Pocketdrive making me feel stupid

Okay here is my problem guys:

I am trying to stick my WPI project on my pocketdrive and I edited the command script thusly=

cmdow @ /HID

@ECHO OFF

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\wpi.ico set CDROM=%%i:

regedit /S wpi.reg

start WPI.hta

EXIT

BUT when it starts it says It cannot find e:\install\blah blah. My **** drive is designated as G:\ WTF??? Yes E:\ is my first CD but this is not what I want...

Am I being a dumba$$? Can you help me please?

the script above doesn't use the CDROm variable at all. it just sets it, don't ya see. I know it's in the .cmd I deliver with WPI, but that's just to show, how to search for a CDROM.

But I do not see, why the hell it should say e:\install...

Am I right - WPI.hta sits in G:\. So does WPI.ico.

Then call WPi with 'start %CDROM%\wpi.hta' and make sure there's no wpi.ico in C:\,D:\,E:\ or F:\

should it still say something 'bout e:\install, then please post the full error message..

the script above doesn't use the CDROm variable at all. it just sets it, don't ya see. I know it's in the .cmd I deliver with WPI, but that's just to show, how to search for a CDROM.

whoa, i didn't even look that far. i just assumed it was a problem with the searched file.

this is strange... :blink:

what is in your e: drive?

isnt it possible that by scanning for the file wpi.ico it finds it in e:, and then the current dir is still e: because it stopped looking there? and therefore, the wpi.hta that starts is looking for the programs in e: ??

of course, this all assumes there is a wpi.ico in e:

Nothing in my E or F drive. And when I use the start %cdrom%\wpi.hta it say system cannot find the file specified.

When I run the wpi command file manually it starts WPI and then I get a error message that says Windows cannot find e:\install\netfxsp1.exe.

Ok I just tried an experiment I removed the letters c d e f from the command file and it still just tries to use my e drive. Seems like the cammand file is not working

Britishbulldog actually answers this question in a post a while back.

yes it does but it can be changed

look for the function 'FindCDRom' in the generate.js, it is in there twice, change this to what you need as below

if (ReportFileStatus(li[i]+'\\WIN51'))

to

if (ReportFileStatus(li[i]+'\\blah.txt'))

So the command file is being made redundent by the generate file. After changing that file it works beautifully.

you mean to say this:

the cmd file is looking for CDROM, for the use of the term 'CDROM' anywhere within the cmd file.

But WPI has its own method of looking for the CDROM drive, which it uses. the above fix is to fix the WPI scanning method.

correct?

When I run the wpi command file manually it starts WPI and then I get a error message that says Windows cannot find e:\install\netfxsp1.exe.

Hey man. that file it tries to start has nothing to do with wpi. It's the service pack for the .NET Framework.

Do the following: check useroptions.js:

Is var timer='on'; and var secs=0; ?

--> WPI would start install as soon as it gets started.

--> Set timer='off';

Also - look into the registries runonceex-branch: is it empty ? what's in there ?

the please post a short excerpt of your disc/file layout. Where's wpi.hta, From where's is started ? ... I know you use the G:-drive, but where's wpi on that drive.

post your current startup script once again.

Britishbulldog actually answers this question in a post a while back.
yes it does but it can be changed

look for the function 'FindCDRom' in the generate.js, it is in there twice, change this to what you need as below

if (ReportFileStatus(li[i]+'\\WIN51'))

to

if (ReportFileStatus(li[i]+'\\blah.txt'))

So the command file is being made redundent by the generate file. After changing that file it works beautifully.

The problem actually was not the command file it was the generate file in the scripts folder.

The layout is like the wpi folder

g:\wpi.hta

g:\wpi.cmd

g:\install\

g:\themes\

And so on... Anyway it works now.