Windows SUS

m3m0mx

Hi everybody !

I've read something about windows software update services (SUS) and also I've read the Deploy guide but I still have a question after all:

Does anybody know if is necesary to have the Win XP without SP1 or SP2 in all the clients machines??

If it's necesary, there is an alternative solution?? (without reinstalling XP??)

I'm thinkin' to install this app in my network but some computers have alredy SP1 and some SP2... :angry:

Thanx !!

From what I remember, SUS downloads all updates from M$, only updates that are approved by an admin are pulled by the clients. SP1 and SP2 anre themselves updates so you can approve them or not as you wish.

Any version of XP should be fine.

I've got a question of my own; for the updates to be installed on the clients, does an administrator (Local) have to logon?

Or maybe I could use the Systems Management Server 2003 (sms 2003), but I don't know if it's available... I have the evaluation version but I need the alpha version...

Does anybody know if it's available Now?? :unsure:

Thanx !

i wouldnt think you would need sms2k3, but check with msoft, they're sure to have the info... sus is fine for what you need, spyder2k is completly correct, although i thought sus pulled all the updates to a central archive on a server somewhere so that clients could download, not off the www. my first answer was to spyder2k's question

Be warned that SUS is very CPU and bandwidth intensive!

In my case, SUS required a webserver for itself alone. Also, be prepared to approve/disapprove over 20GB of updates the first time SUS synchronizes with MS servers. I configured mine to do so between 2am and 5am, so that it does not affect any users. After SUS is configured and updates have been approved, your clients will update from the SUS server (provided you configure the Automatic Update AD policy correctlly).

It's a lot better to have a single server consuming a lot of bandwidth in off-peak hours, than ALL your clients trying to contact MS Windows Update various times a day. You might want to relocate the SUS server to a network segment near your corp. gateway so it has enough bandwidth for synchronizing with MS servers, or control its bandwidth usage with an intelligent router so that when it updates it does not "kill" your others servers.

My 2 cents

I I remember right, you have to have winxp sp1 in order for it to work right, or you have to manually install the windows critical update (update) on the computers so that they can talk to the sus server. It is all in the deployment guide. Also Microsoft does not recommend deploying sp2 over the sus server, that would really bog down your network. There are guides for this too.

SUS works with Windows 2000 and up computers. If your PCs already have the Automatic Updates client, you're ready to go. One of the "key" parts of the SUS setup is configuring the Automatic Updates GPO in the AD. That way, clients will point to the SUS server you have set up for them, not MS servers.

It is not necessery to have XP SP1 or SP2 clients... U can use SUS on w2k and xp OSs (and server OSs of course)... SUS is really great, maybe in your case I would wait for WUS (it will be here soon). Any other questions? BTW using SMS for hotfix delivery is not best idea...

2Shotgun: I must disagreee. Because of BITS SUS is extremly low cpu and bandwidth intensive. Oficial number (and I must agree with them) says PIII 500MHz can take care of about 50000 clients. My two SUS servers R running on normal server (USD, URC and UAM) and once I was involved in deploying 6 virtual SUS servers on normal server...

Because of BITS SUS is extremly low cpu and bandwidth intensive
How do I install BITS on the SUS server? I haven't found it anywhere. When I installed SUS on a current webserver (SUS being a virtual one) the CPU was at 100% over 80% of the time, the webserver almost couldn't handle normal web requests so I had to move SUS to an individual server. The previous one was a Pentium IV at 900MHz. After removing SUS from that server, CPU utilization returned to an average 10-20%.
USD, URC and UAM
I am somewhat acronym impaired at the moment... What do those mean? I have an idea but I wanna make sure.

2Shotgun: Spyder is right... BITS is on clients (now it is v2) - it is acting like download manager, so clients wont lie down your server and your customers/users wont even notice that there is something downloaded on their computer.

About shortcuts - URC is Unicenter Remote Control, USD is Unicenter Software Delivery and UAM is Unicenter Asset Management... These systems R quite performance-eaters, so if would SUS consume CPU or bandwidth, I would notice

2Shotgun: Spyder is right... BITS is on clients (now it is v2) - it is acting like download manager, so clients wont lie down your server and your customers/users wont even notice that there is something downloaded on their computer.

The strange thing is that the SERVER had the CPU @ 100% almost all the time SUS was on it, like I said a Pentium IV @ 900MHZ with 512MB RAM. Moved it to a stand-alone webserver just for SUS and there it works perfectly without eating out the CPU. (???) Strange. The 1st server only had IIS and no unneeded services. Anyhow, moving it to a server just for SUS solved the problem. It stays at 8-15% all the time, except when it synchronizes with MS servers. Then, it sporadically climbs between 80-100%. Nothing to be scared about.

@soulin: thanks for the clarification.