max temperature for p4 2.4 GHz

Ven

i am using a intel pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor.. i just overclocked it to 2.79 ghz..

when i use a temperature monitoring software.. it says that the processor is getting very hot at 65 degrees clecius, what is the max tempurature my processor can handle bedore it is danger of damage..

my hardware congif.

Boistar U8668 Grand

Kingston 2100 256 MB 266 MHz

Intel pentium 4 2.4Ghz

Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Western digital 80 gb and 160 gb harddisk

I haven't done much OC'ing myself, but I can soundly say that you should definately

1) Add more cooling

OR

2) Slow that puppy down

OR (even better)

3) BOTH (a CPU that's running at <35 C will never* fry)

65 C is way above what a processor should run at. You didn't mention if this was at idle or at full load, but if it's at idle, then you could run into a lot of problems really quickly...

IMO, overclocking is only really worth it when you have the cooling equipment that allows you to do it without running any risks to your hardware. Is it really worth it to bust $100-500 on a fried CPU for one second quicker loading of programs? or shaving off 10 minutes on a render that would take about 2 hours anyways?

*never = 99.99999999%

EDIT: The first thing that I would do to get you better performance out of your computer would be to throw in at least another 256MB of RAM. If you want truly seemless performance in games or when you have 10 programs running at the same time, get 1 GB of total RAM.

The first thing that you should consider when going for more speed is where the bottleneck is. With the setup that you have, your lack of RAM is what's keeping you back, not your CPU speed. I'd bet you that my P4 1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM will out-do your system (even OC'ed) with most applications, especially when you've got several programs running.

generally you dont want to go over 80C, they are supposed to be able to go up to 120C, but doing so is really pushing it, as a generall rule, if you must go over 80, dont go over 100. Also, most people, including me will tell you to get water cooling, then you wont have so much to worry about... Not to mention unless you have an extremly fast bus to the memory and north bridge you cant really take advantage of overclocking your cpu...

First off... don't cross post.

Secondly... Ignore most of what mattofak said... anything above 60C is sketchy... (I think that mattofak was working in farenheit, not celsius). At 100C, even water cooling won't do you very well since you'd end up boiling the water (if the plastic around your CPU hadn't melted yet)

Read my reply in the general discussion section of the forum.

@MODS: Please move any relevant threads and/or delete duplicates

You can run your cpu at up to 80C, i do it all the time, i get slightly worried though, so i dont do it very often, and if you dont run it for a very long time you can go up to 100C, and yes i do mean celcius, im also refering to fan cooling, not water cooling, still.. ven does probably need to slow down...

well. i haven't pushed it to full load.. if i idle it.. it is at 48 celcius.. if i copy from a cd rom to harddisk.. it reaches to 65 clecius.. i don't know where it will go when i full load it :(

my cpu runs at 46C pretty much all the time, at idle, and surfing the web and what not. However, i do suggest you test, 65C is ok, but if it goes much higher than that, its not good, if it goes above 73C you will definitly need to either get some better cooling hardware or slow down the cpu because although you can strain the cpu up to 80, and above, its only for short periods really

thanks guys.. i guess i might as well change it back to normal cause u all are a say that is veri close to the danger zone.. anyway.. i don need that much speed cause every programme can run on 2.4.. so whats the need for 2.79.. i wanted to just test how hight i could bring my frequency to the max and it was 159.. i was just woundering what is the max safe speed.. so i posted this forum.. :thumbup