Got some questions...(noob alert!)

DragonFire1380

Greetings!

Alright, I just got my new NEO2 Platinum (nforce3) and plan on doing a freah install next week. I figured If try to add the drivers to XP to save me some trouble but I'm a little confused.

First I'v followed most of what this guide says.

I then downloaded the driverpacks since I'll be installing to a SATA drive. Once it was all done with method 1, I did the following:

1) Move the $OEM$ folder created by the driverpack to the root dir of where I copied XP. In this case its /desktop/masterxpcd

2) I copied everything from the i386 dir to the xp i386 dir, I also copied txtsetup.sif to the root dir of my XP copy.

3) I deleted both the L and S folders because I dont need them.

4) I edited winnt.sif and added OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\M\;

Now this is were I get a little lost. Can I rename the folder from "m" to something else? When adding the folder to OemPnPDriversPath, do I just add the root folder name under /drivers or do I have to add lines for each subfolder as well?

For my chipset drivers, can I just add the memcrtl, SMBus, and gart files all into one dir such as 001_chipset ? Do I have to add anything to txtsetup.sif?

You can change the folder names, but aslong as it is correctly pointed to in the winnt.sif

For instance:

If you rename the folder to sata,

You would have

Drivers (folder)
    |
     --- Sata (folder)
    |        |
    |         --- (all the files)
    |

Say that above is your structure, then in winnt.sif it would be

drivers/sata

if you were to create it in another folder, you have to add the folder to the Pnp line, as windows wont search sub directories.

Just remember the golden rule - always name the folder with the .inf file in it.

example:

You add another directory:

Drivers (folder)
    |
     --- Sata (folder)
    |        |
    |         --- Test (folder)
    |                 |
    |                  --- (all the files)
    |

Then the Pnp line is winnt.sif would become

drivers/sata/test

For the folder setup, try and keep to a minimal sub directory structure, as the more you have the bigger your cd will become (yes not much i know) and is also less confusing. ;)

folder4hh.th.jpg

how about reading that usually helps when there is a problem

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=35303

YOu know, that was the post that made me think about putting diskeeper in, however...

"Right Click on Diskeeper9_Professional.exe and extract to c:\temp folder"

When I right click, winrar doesnt give me an option to extract and when I tried opening the exe in winrar it says something about it being an invaild file....