WPI Sorted Config Enhancement

I did a quick search and couldn't find what I wanted, so I whipped it together in a couple of minutes.

Attached is a slightly modified configwizard.js that always writes out config.js as a sorted list, sorted by order number. I found it really useful in setting up WPI.

When you go back into Config after you've saved it, the list of applications under 'Navigation' will be sorted in order, in the way they'll eventually end up in RunOnceEx. It helped me to get a good idea of the flow of application priorities.

Hope you guys find it useful.

This modified configwizard.js is based on the version of WPI I downloaded this evening, which I presume is 3.2? The WPI.hta is dated 12/29/04 11:30PM (CST).

Hasi -- if you'd like to incorporate my changes (really only a few lines) into your official releases, you're more than welcome to.

Enjoy,

BL.

configwizard.js

you mean to say by using your code, i dont hv to manually enter the order of my categories?

also u seem to know java script.

can u help me with this problem?

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To change this timeout value in Internet Explorer 4.0, 5.0, or 6.0 versions, follow these steps:

1. Using a Registry Editor such as Regedt32.exe, open this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Styles

Note If the Styles key is not present, create a new key that is called Styles.

2. Create a new DWORD value called "MaxScriptStatements" under this key and set the value to the desired number of script statements.

By default the key doesn't exist. If the key has not been added, Internet Explorer 4 defaults to 5,000,000 statements executed as the trigger for the timeout dialog box.

Because the Internet Explorer 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 timeout is based on the number of script statements executed, the timeout dialog box will not display during ActiveX control or database-access delays. Endless loops in script will still be detected.

pls checkout http://www.codecomments.com/message206767.html

you mean to say by using your code, i dont hv to manually enter the order of my categories?

No...this doesn't really have anything to do with categories. When you go into the 'Config' section in WPI, it lists all the applications there in the order you added them to WPI. What I did was make the order they're listed in on the Config page more intuitive (at least to me) by sorting that list by the 'Install Order' field.

The 'Install Order' field specifies the order in which applications will get installed -- it's essentially a priority list. Things like Prepare.cmd and Cleanup.cmd are given the lowest and highest install orders because they should run at the beginning and end of the RegOnceEx process.

Hope this clarifies it a bit. If it doesn't, download the configwizard.js I put up and try it and perhaps it'll make more sense when you can see it.

As to your other issue...I've read the thread and I understand the problem but I haven't run into it yet myself, but I suspect I will as I add to my list of applications. Until I do, it'll be a bit tough for me to help you on this one.