RJ45 Splitters

Dell and Rodney

Just plug your server into the router......DONE.

It's really no more complicated than that.

There is no such thing as a RJ45 splitter short of a hub. There are splitters that will use the other two pair in a cat5 cable but that wont help you any.

My last replay to this problem, cause is becomin annoyin.

U dont need a second hub. U have a spare port.

If u plan to buy something buy a router with 8 ports, instead of a new hub.

If u buy a hub, buy a switch-hub, but u dont need it at this time, maybe for future use!

Put static ip's, so u can limit ur internet connections

U need to configure ur server and also ur firewall, unless if u want the viruses to do parties.

Good Luck m8, pm if u stuck

First off a splitter will not do what you want. All a splitter does is put the same signal out 2 ports. If you do this you wont have access to eather machine on the splitter if both are pluged in. What you need is to goto a store and buy a cheep 4 port linksys or dlink switch. They go for about $20 this is all you need and you can put both PCs on the network at once. Your other option is to run a cable from the 4th port on the router over to the server. Eather one of these solutions will do what you want but a splitter will just f**kup your network.

you have a 4 port DSL router, if you said that you had DSL 20 posts ago, we'd be done by now...

get a hub or a switching hub (little more expensive but not much) with as many additional ports as you want.. 4 ports or 32 ports, it doesn't matter.

plug as much as possible into the hub, plug the hub into dlink (make sure you follow the direction for the uplink pork), and the dlink into your phone line

simple problem, simple explaination

and as blackbull posted, makesure you have AV, firewall, and autoupdates turned on, or you will become a broadcast home for every internet worm in existance

you have a 4 port DSL router, if you said that you had DSL 20 posts ago, we'd be done by now...

really??? well try and read my first post and maybe youll realise - this is what i said:

OK people heres the scenario:

3 PCs

using 1 D-Link modem/ router (D-Link 504T) with 4 ports

obviously all 3 PCs are connected to the modem/ router for internet connection

huh,

where does it say that you are using DSL?

I hv a simpler solution for you. Why dont u got to Compusa, Best Buy, or Micro Center.

pickup a Wireless Router. you can get a 50 dollar DSL/Cable Wireless Router

use the 4 port rj45 10/100 and get one Wireless lan card $10.00

solution fixed. If u dont know how to configure the server which u seem

like u are really struggling with. This is the simplest solution for you.l

where does it say that you are using DSL?

pfffffffffffffffffff you guys are the technical dudes before you guys answer did anyone ask me if its a DSL? above statement was referring to the name of the modem/router and number of portsi gave the the modem info if someone really wanted to know they could have checked it out - later in the posts i even posted a link. I mean if i am confused you probably can tell why. I ask for help then i get told why didnt i say this and that when easily if it was important someone could have asked in earlier posts or checked it up themselves if they really wanted to help

Are you kidding?? He can't manage a wired router, what makes you think he could setup a wireless one?

As for why I didn't know it was a DSL modem, I thought that you had some kind of POTS modem sharing router, when you posted the link is where I saw it was the DSL router.

You never said that you were RESERVING the 4th port for another computer until later.

In any case you have been given several solutions, the simplest one will only cost you about $20. If you have any problems some 12 year old can show you how to connect the router to the hub

Are you kidding?? He can't manage a wired router, what makes you think he could setup a wireless one?

As for why I didn't know it was a DSL modem, I thought that you had some kind of POTS modem sharing router, when you posted the link is where I saw it was the DSL router.

You never said that you were RESERVING the 4th port for another computer until later.

In any case you have been given several solutions, the simplest one will only cost you about $20. If you have any problems some 12 year old can show you how to connect the router to the hub

kiss my a$$ you gay id***

Look people calm down, answering the question will help and you'll get help if you ask. Having a go at people helps no-one.

You have 4 ports.

You have 3 used by your pc's

You have 1 free port

Plug server into this free port.

Your ISP assigns the Modem side an IP Address. Your Router assigns your pc's an IP Address.

So if you open a command prompt on your 3 pc's do the command IPCONFIG /ALL you should notice the IP Address | Subnet Mask | Gateway | DNS Servers | Workgroup etc etc

If you do same on your server the details will no doubt be same.

Now, on the server set these manually, BUT NOT gateway | DNS, unless you want it to have net access.

You should now be able to see all PC's and server from within network neighborhood.