convert fat32 to ntfs, non interactively

snowsquirrel

is there a way to non-interactively convert a fat32 partition to ntfs?

I tried

convert d: /fs:ntfs /x

But then I have to type in volume label.

So then I tried

label d: name
echo name | convert d: /fs:ntfs /x

(label is needed, because I can't always know the disk label beforehand). But this doesn't work, as I get an error regarding invalid label name.

THanks,

~S

Adding this to your winnt.sif should convert all of your FAT32 columes to NTFS...

[Unattended]
FileSystem = ConvertNTFS

I searched all over but couldnt find a single thing that lets you automatically convert a specific volume without any user interaction. Only thing I could think of was use a VBScript to do it..

Hrm... This link kinda makes it sound like it converts your fat32 file systems to ntfs...

When upgrading, you can customize the [unattended]section of your answer file to convert FAT32 file systems automatically to NTFS.

ur probably right though.. Im really surprised there isnt a way to do this without user interaction..

There is a way to do everything....

For the below purpose, I'd say boot into WinPE environment, then have it execute a CMD which will run a diskpart script, and after that load XP setup. All of it can be done in an automated manner. Sample diskpart script (*VERY* example-ish... so you have to make your own by looking at the EXE's help):

select disk 0
select partition 2
assign Y:
exit
convert /whatever Y: ntfs
WHATEVER_ELSE

Now, I don't know whether you want to recursively convert all partitions, or convert only specific ones...

Now, WinPE is very complex, and you'll be better off doing the conversion by yourself, if you only need to do it for a few PCs.