Sysprep And A Common Image

I'm using a RIS Server to deploy a Win2K install built with GreenMachine XPCreate and Ghost 8 corporate to deploy Windows XP Preconfigured images and both have advantages. To my opinion, Ghost is faster to deploy a big XP image with a lot of preinstalled applications and RIS is fast to install 2k and launch applications install from a network share.

Keep both solutions !

and yes UIU is probably a good companion to Ghost but need to buy additional software.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dudes,

UIU looks good but I cannot justify this cost to my boss as he will just say thats your job use sysprep.

I have multiple hardware types and want to create a single image for all these hardware.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction for configuring sysprep and an installation folder to do this please?

I want to use sysprep and ghost to create an entirely unattended setup with all required drivers for all my hardware types.

RIS is not an option for me as all my machines are in a datacentre and there is noone to hit F12 for me.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Man u guys are lucky!

I got 200 sites slow links

Slow network links only just upgraded to 100mb.

I got 16 images and 7 different models of PC's (60,000 units) :blink:

We used to have one image to suit all seven models but recently a new model has had a similar driver to the previous model and conflicts ah good old HP kit!

I think in a large Corp RIS is the way to go as like you say its easy to maintain.... ten models down the line I could have loads of images and that is not an option (testing takes about a month so a change in the image is a pain)

Its all about TCO nowadays look at M$ pushing Bussiness Desktop Deployment SA with ZTP and ZTD which is not bad if you got a good network.

So gents your both right depends what you TCO is and how many User's you have and what company it is

For me my life is hell!

By the way great site!