Newbie Help

One more thing I'd like to add:

Since I have been doing the Running partions an seperate drive for some time now... here is the only problem I have had with running Apps on another drive (IE Program files on D: Drive)

If and when its time for you to reinstall windows again (and it will happen) All of the file associations and dll's any and all program extentions and registry apply's will be removed when you reinstall windows and leave the programs on the other drive... so this makes leaving all these programs on another drive other than windows allmost pointless since you have to basically reinstall all the apps in order to recreate all the file assocations and extentions... I dont know if this is going to affect the decision to install the way you want to or not... but it is something that you may want to keep in mind when your doing Your Unattended installion..

later...

Shadow

@BlackShadow

You shouldn't need to use winnt.exe - just boot from CD and choose to install windows to C:\ partition.

@Ctwizzy

Its not so much effort needed at all.... Just use whatever suits you!

As for why C: should be 7.5 GB, the reason (in brief) is that a boot-sector should always be within the first 8 GB of a fixed disk. Giving 512 MB to a "/boot" partition of any unix-based OS (or win98 or any OS for that matter) will then be possible on easier terms. LILO/grub should be within 8 GB for best results. While 7.5 GB is not a limit you can force upon anyone, experience teaches you what's best. ;)

to google for more info on this

Sorry ive been away for a few days, just started my new job. And also been busy with my free lancing porting a site to a new server and getting it working.

Anyways these are my findings.

This site explains why swap anywhere else but C is not good. Awesome site.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?locat...var1=143&var2=0

Im looking at 2 configurations right now, which I would like opinions and questions answered please.

Configuration 1:

8GB OS, Anti Virus, Firewall, Diskeeper, adaware other really important system utilities

30GB Program Files and Game installations.

This would be for all other installations like messanger, maybe firefox, all games, photoshop etc

3GB Temp Dir for cache, and temp files

dont know if this is neccesary or holds same truth as to the swap file

Rest of 160GB drive will be for Data files, music, videos etc as this is more than enough room and can be organized by folders.

Configuration 2:

1: OS + My Docs + Programs 60GB

2 Data, files, music, videos etc 100GB organized by folders

Drive 2

1: Backups drive

Basically with this one I depend on my uA cd to clean things up once in a while, wiping C and using uA cleans it all, whilst I keep all important files on the second partttion so they dont get wiped. This makes things simple, tho maybe not as fast/efficient relies more on routine defragging and cleaning to make sure its running smooth.

This method also requires a lot less work to setup

Questions:

1. I hear having the My Docs and installations on a dif partition increases seek time when running applications, but prap says to have them on a dif drive. Which is the case.

2. you need to make sure your swap file is on your boot partition, creating a situation where your drive needs to physically leave the windows area and traverse the entire drive to get to its swap file will crucify any application thats heavily swapping.

Im wondering if this will be the case with my temp dir as well? The cache is made to quickly access apps, if i throw it on a dif partition it will keep the OS cleaner but migth increase seek times, maknig the cache a little insignificant.

3. My docs on a different partition good or not? I cant find a simple answer to this?

4. Which configuration sounds better?

Thanks!

Hard disk #1:

partition1 = 7.5 GB (windows, Docs&Settings, ProgramFiles, really important installs, internet cache and temp files)

partition2 = 30 GB (Heavy apps and Game installations)

partition3 = 50 GB (whatever)

partition4 = rest of the space (whatever)

Hard disk #2:

partition1 = 2 GB (page/swap file for windows)

partition2 = 40 GB (whatever)

partition3 = 38 GB (whatever)

Well, the above is what looks good to me (it will give the best possible performance), but you can change it to suit your usage.