SP2 and Post-SP2 Hotfixes CD Project

DLF

@war59312

Big sorry to all for the bump on this thread, but really thought I ought to say mega-thanks to war59312 for the amount of effort you've put into my thread req' for help. :thumbup And a very big thanks to leviathan, cartoonite et al. Testing tonite! And will obviously post results and a bit of a conclusion/summary tomorrow.

Will burn about a dozen of these cd's then so I can get round all those boxes like some sort of a relay race!

war59312,

Thanks a bunch. You can't believe how much blood, sweat, and tears you saved many of us from. I wouldn't have even thought of trying to extract the files from the packages, until I was in frustration looking at the context menu.

I'm going to run some tests on the CD I've made and see what happens. I'm going to make a batch file that allows you to start the install rather than go automatically installign SP2. I'd like to keep some control over the starting process of the install. I would hate to drop it in my computer, wondering what CD it was (bad habit of not writing on the CD's) and getting a SP2 install going.

Will post results soon.

--Leviathan

Well i messed up on Journal Viewer. I put an " in there on accident. So re-uploaded the file. Sorry about that.

Other than that everything has worked great. I have burned it twice now. Ran in virtual PC as well and everything is great. :)

So re-download the file.

Now just to make it GUI. ;)

Oh and about more control.

You could change everything so something like this:

ECHO Installing .NET FrameWork 1.1

ECHO.

ECHO Are you sure you wish to install .NET FrameWork 1.1? (Yes/No)

ECHO.

PAUSE

Then you need an if statement here. Dont know this part of the top of my head atm. Know linux but not windows. Tired as hell. Still have no sleep. lol

So now of course it requires user input, but you can pick while installing what you want to install. Of course just answering with Yes or No when asked if you want to install the application.

So if yes you do:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\NetFramework\netfx.msi /qb

then else go to next app to install

Well i dont know right now maybe someone well figure it out.

Maybe something like:

set %install $?="Install .NET FrameWork 1.1(Yes/No) ?"
if (%install == Yes) {
echo Installing .NET FrameWork 1.1
set %install Yes
}
if (%install == No) {
echo You have choosen not to install .NET FrameWork 1.1
set %install No
}
else {
echo You must type in Yes/No
return ()
}

Hey,

Also, here is my ISO creating script I use.

I have created two. One to just create the ISO. And one to first integrate sp2 for you and then create the ISO.

Take Care,

Will

PS: Its just a cleaned up version from http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/finish.htm. So give credit to them for the create ISO one. I created the integrate one though myself.

Well it appears you have to restart twice and import twice if you wish to import HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registy settings.

Cause the first time around you add the registry keys so when it intalls the appz it has most of the correct settings. Some install requries these settings. But then you restart and have to apply them again. Cause apparently some of the settings get replaced when you restart the first time by the applications and by windows itself. Like some internet explorer settings.

Unless of course some one knows a way to get around this?

ATM This is how I do it.

First you run an update.cmd file called by GuiRunOnce in winnt.sif.

Which is where you install all the sp2 updates which then at the end runs Finish.cmd which creates a RunOnceEx menu:

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Finish Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\cleanUp.cmd" /f

EXIT

Then at the end of update.cmd it tells the system to reboot. So now you have rebooted once and then once the system boots it of course runs the RunOnceEx menu where you install applications and registry entires.

And once done it reboots the system a second time and your all done.

Not sure if its need but in cmdlines.txt in $OEM$ I import all registry keys as well. I have two registry files. One for current user and one for local machine. Both of these are also imported during the RunOnceEx menu as well like I said.

Thats the way I am doing it right now cause its just easier. Dont have to convert all the darn windows xp sp3 hotfixes to RunOnceEx form. So its just easier. And surely it requries the same amount of time so dont see how you could really make it easier or less time.

That is without includeing the hotfixes in windows itself and not installing afterwords. Which I plan on doing later just dont have time right now. You know with inf files, etc. So all you do is normal windows setup and thats it. Though I am sure you will get some setup errrors in event log for unsigned files etc. But like that matters.

I've attached the basic files. Of course u add what you want to them but its the basic setup. And auto run file is already on very first post in this topic.

I'm still testing my full thing atm but if it all works i will post it too.

Just getting ready to install in virtual pc so will be awhile.

Well cay later,

Will

Basic.ZIP

Well darn that does not work. Cause apparently windows must start completely once. So I guess u can do and just have to restart the second time manually. Or just set to restart the second time like five mins later to give enough time for windows to be completely setup. Like for example some folders and start menu entries are not created. So you get a ton of "The system cannot find the file specified." and "Could Not Find" errors if you try to delete / create shortcuts, etc. :(

wtf0xa.png

Maybe someone can figure it out.

Since it appears that only takes place if windows completely logs in which pretty much sucks.

But this is only a problem if you want to do more than just the hotfixes. But if its just hotfixes it works great. :)

Well i attached what i currently tested.

Well appariently 120sec. delay works perfectly. :) So if you delay by 120secs. that gives windows enough time to finish up doing whatever it does the first time you login. Though I'm going to use 300secs. just to make sure myself. Since I plan on installing on slower computers that mine as well. So hopefully five mins will do it. Think it will since they are all over 1gb and have at least 256mb of ram. So if you have a slow computer you might want to wait even longer.

Simply using:

shutdown -r -t 300 -c "Rebooting To Complete Updates!"

Unattend.ZIP

@ et al

Big probs with this project, tested a lot of options and things aren't as easy as some folk are theoretically assuming without testing. This is the problem - a lot of people have got THEORETICAL answers to this project, but they aint tested it!

The problem lies with the fact that SP2 is the first thing to get installed. Then if you DONT restart all the other hotfixes cant get installed via war59312' s method. With 4 of the hotfixes you get a "incorrect command line parameters" error.

If SP2 is already on the machine there's no prob. But if you try and install all the post SP2 hotfixes before SP2 has had a chance to restart the machine, then 4 of the hotfixes wont have it. But if you install SP2 and let it restart then you get the windows security centre applet running and the batch file doesnt continue.

I thought it might be to due to the fact that SP2 hadnt restarted then it was because an older vers of update.exe req different cmd line params, but you still get the error with the "old" cmd line params for these 4 KB's.

Input anyone? How to install SP2 and then restart and carry on the batch but WITHOUT the windows security applet running?

*Note to self: Christmas holidays is a poor time to volunteer to do work.

I have spent far less time working on this project than I intended and, for that, I apologize. It seems the party/slacker attitude I adopt during the holidays is still very much intact, regardless of the fact that I long ago killed off the last remaining shreds of anything that even vaguely resembled a social life. :blushing:

I suspect what little work I have done has been largely rendered obsolete by this point, but I will post it now anyways, just in case it is of some use.

Some of the things I have read in this thread lead me to believe that there are further issues beyond those I documented that I never found as I have yet to actually test these scripts.

Hopefully I will have some time to work on this soon, either moving forward with my own partial solution or, more likely, combining small parts of my own to the ideas presented by the other, far more vocal, contributors. I did start a new job just this week though, so I won't make any promises.

Good luck with this, DLF. And, again, I'm sorry that I haven't really been much help.

SP2_Update_Project.rar

@ DLF, if it is just security center that is causin the batch to not continue do this in batch

1. install silently sp2 (do not reboot)

2. regedit /s delseccen.reg

3. add all hotfixes to runonceex to be run when computer restarts

4. use shutdown.exe to reboot the machine

5. computer restarts and continues on to runonceex, installing the hotfixes

6. run regedit /s seccen.reg

7. reboot one final time (or maybe multiple times, but do not do step 6 until you are done with all reboots.

NOTES: delseccen.reg is just a reg file which disables security center, these keys are in the registry tweaks thread, or I can post them here. seccen.reg basically is the opposite of delseccen.reg therefore reenabling security center. and you should be done.

• 1 month later...

Okay. Took me three forevers and six tomorrows, but I did finally get something that works for this. It's nothing fancy, just a few script files, but I've tested it and it works.

Hmm. Just taking a look at these files before I upload them; seems this set isn't 100% uA, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I did have something that was completely unattended at some point. I'll have to take a look see if I can find wherever I put that version.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's the partial solution I was working with:

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I won't post the code seperately. Complete (I think) instructions for using these files is included in the Read Me.

SP2_Update_Project.rar