Installing video card driver without a monitor

Outshined

I'm new here ... but I'd like to post a question maybe someone can help me with.

I friend pulled on his monitor cable and "ripped" out the 15-pin female interface card connector. He gave me the pc... And I simply figured I'd just buy a video card and connect the monitor through this pci connection.

However, when I boot up the machine, the monitor is not connected because the drivers for the vga card are not loaded. #1) Can this even be done? #2) Is there a particular way to load drivers without a connected monitor to see what you are doing?

Thanks for your attention.

I'm new here ... but I'd like to post a question maybe someone can help me with.

I friend pulled on his monitor cable and "ripped" out the 15-pin female interface card connector. He gave me the pc... And I simply figured I'd just buy a video card and connect the monitor through this pci connection.

However, when I boot up the machine, the monitor is not connected because the drivers for the vga card are not loaded. #1) Can this even be done? #2) Is there a particular way to load drivers without a connected monitor to see what you are doing?

Thanks for your attention.

This is impossible. 99% chance you've bought a nVidia or ATI graphics card, and both (and many more) support a basic driver. This basic driver is ALWAYS used when you want to install Windows!

So the problem must lie somewhere else: or the cable isn't working anymore, or the monitor is broken, or the graphics card isn't installed correctly...

Thanks, Sneaky. Actually the card is a Pine PCI3800. I tried all the slots to make sure it wasn't connectors, the monitor cable works, etc. I called Pine and tech support told me I need to "disable my onboard vid card" and then the Pine ard should be recognized. Since the motherboard is not a Pine, I was told I need to contact --- Dell.

I typed some keywords into Dell KBase. ... I have no idea how to do this ... especially since I cannot see the desktop!

Thanks, Sneaky. Actually the card is a Pine PCI3800. I tried all the slots to make sure it wasn't connectors, the monitor cable works, etc. I called Pine and tech support told me I need to "disable my onboard vid card" and then the Pine ard should be recognized. Since the motherboard is not a Pine, I was told I need to contact --- Dell.

I typed some keywords into Dell KBase. ... I have no idea how to do this ... especially since I cannot see the desktop!

You will need to get into the BIOS in order to disable the onboard video. If you're not able to do this you might be SOL.