installrite with Runonceex.cmd

saitoh183

I used installrite to make a silent install of DVD labs 1.3.1. Tested the new installer on my Pc and it works. Now my questions are:

How do I use this installer in my runonceex.cmd?

Has anyone tried this method before because i can't seem to find anything on the forum about it.

Is this method good for most programs?

If i use istallers made by Installrite, will i still need certain switches for no reboot and so forth?

Does anyone know goes about creating the new installer beside the options you get to choose for the installer? Like does it take all the info you entered during the installation( startmenu group, location to install too) or does it just use default settings?

no switches are required if you make your installer silent w/in InstallRite.

Just call the EXE as you would normally - with no switches.

I used it for many programs. Others might be better. Some programs are best with the built in installers.

InstallRite merely copies all the changes made. So it takes the options you picked when you created it. So, if you want to do none default things, InstallRite will mirror them.

Or use the wildcard options when you create your installer.

Dont worry, higher post quantity does not equal higher intellegence.

Hahaha! I agree. This is my 278th post, but I still consider my self as a rookie.

Personally, I don't trust InstallRite. I don't think it caputres every single file and reg entry all the time. And sometimes, it captures unecessary files and reg entries. Although I must admit that I use this sometimes just to monitor the installation files and reg entries for repacking my softwares that are difficult to install silently. But overall, I still consider this as a good program, because it is free.

Installright takes a snapshot of everything, then you do your install, then takes another snapshot, and compares the two. If theres anything you should not trust its your own computer. Of course, if your running multiple programs, something is bound to show up that you didnt expect.

Installright takes a snapshot of everything, then you do your install, then takes another snapshot, and compares the two

Yes. That is corrct. I used this before, and this is what I noticed. You have to use it on a clean system everytime to be able to capture everyting. Because if your program installs a certian file or reg entry that is already installed on your system, it will not be captured. Do you agree with me? And also, if you install a complicated program with hunderds of reg entries, it will not capture everyting all the time, or sometimes, it will capture unnecessary security identifier entries. That's why if you try to install your compiled exe on different machines, it doesn't work 100% all the time. For example, if you try to capture the installation of Norton Internet Security, it may not work perfectly on other systems because NIS installs "per machine" files and entries. I have nothing against InstallRite. I'm an InstallRite user too. I use InstallWatch sometimes just to monitor the changes.

saitoh: Your missing the whole point of repackaging software. The whole point is a last resort. Install switchs are first priority because they were made FROM the maker of the software, for that exact purpose. Its also typically very simple, thats why they are typically their. If that doesnt work, I always just make an AutoIT Script, however, even that can be fussy for some people or for me at points. Soooo if all those fail, I move to Installrite, which has never failed me.

totoymola: This guy is confusing as hell: He said he would try it on simpel software when we told him that he should just use switchs on simple ones. And about that VMware statement we dont know if he means hes gonna try an installrite package with it or try his installrite package with vmware.