Radeon 9X00 setup resolution?

I've seen a few posts where people mention this, but I'll be darned if I can find an answer from someone who knows for sure:

1. Are there drivers that come with WinXP (even SP2) that enable full 1024x768 resolution in the setup phase where the winntbbu.dll is displayed?

2. If not, is there a way to pre-load basic drivers from the text setup portion (like Bashrat's mass storage drivers, etc) that would allow windows to know what the heck kind of ATI card is really in the 'puter.

During the first GUI setup stage (where the winntbbu.dll is used), my computer only uses what appears to be 640x480 resolution. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro. When checking the vid driver that windows has loaded when it finally first runs, it shows the S3 Trio or some such drivers! (And yes, I know you can do a silent install of the catalysts after setup is complete, I wanted to know what Bill-o-Soft thinks I have for a vid card...)

I've seen umpteen posts describing how to get the control panel, wdm, omega, etc drivers installed from RunOnce or batch file. What I'm wondering is if there is something screwy with the detection of my card by Windows setup (and, by extension, all of us ATI weenies) or if I'm simply missing a setting in the .sif or unattended.txt somewhere...

Any help or comments anybody has to finally resolve this would be greatly appreciated ad infinitum! :)

beaumar,

SP2 by itself has support for newer ATi cards. That will enable full resolution.

And for how to integrate native ATi drivers, the guide describes the OEMpnpDriversPath method. Direct the path of that to where you have your catalyst's extracted "\Driver\2KXP_INF".

Hoping I've explained the above somewhat clearly.... If you have anything to clarify, just ask. And hey, we don't have ATi flamers around here - in fact, no flamers. :)

You will have 1024x768 only at first-logon.

Until the graphical setup finishes, it will be 640x480.

And did you integrate drivers through OEMpnpDriversPath ? Using the setup to install the control panel is a later step, first integrate drivers using OEMpnpDriversPath.

And I believe vid1365chng has a "-force" option to force video modes.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

@Astalavista

FYI, that *IS* first-logon. :P

lol

Edited by prathapml

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I said... extended resolutions become available only when drivers get initialised in full windows mode (i.e., from first login onwards, if your gfx drivers are present in the uA setup).

If you started setup from within windows, even your GUIsetup (the time from T-39 to T-0) will be able to use extended res. Otherwise if you booted from CD and started setup, GUIsetup runs in a resolution somewhat lower than 640x480.