turn off display only

websee

actually i do have such a sheme (turns display off after a minute) and a normal laptop sheme that also shuts hard disks down and so on, but i was thinking of some kind of shortcut, that i can manually use or not use.

The power options in windows let you do this.

Under Power Options->Advanced, put a check mark beside "Always show icon on the taskbar".

Then go back to the power schemes tab and select "Max Battery" from the pull down menu. Change the settings to your liking (display turn off after 1 min), and then click on Save As. Select a name for it (Call it MOO for now).

When you want to select this behaviour (display off after 1 min), single-click on the battery/power cord icon in the system tray, and select MOO from the menu.

Starting the power scheme with Max Battery will also set your computer to use the lowest possible processor speed, which will also help improve battery life.

Hope this helps.

turning standby off and closing the display switches it off

what do you mean, the unit just turns off when you set the property in power mngmnt to "do nothing"..??

that's interesting..do you have another program controling power settings...ie if it was an IBM - MaxiMizer Wizard, Dell - Quickset, Toshiba - PowerSave or something like that...