PowerDVD Codec minimal installation

Hello folks, I posted in the Application section of this forum but I didn't get any answer...

I always get PowerDVD OEM with every new computer we buy. I integrated the software in my unattended Installation but in fact I only need to give Windows Media Player the ability to play DVD movies...

So my question is what would be the minimal installation? I mean only giving the codec and not having to install the whole software (about 20Mo at source)

I took a look at the Unattended Codec pack and saw that CLVSD.ax is copied over to SYSTEM32 and then there's the Registry setting applied:

;DVD im WMP
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings]
"EnableDVDUI"="yes"

but is that it? Did I miss something?

I dont know if you mean with the "BEST" decoder around, a decoder with the best quality or performance, but I can tell you that I've been using Zoom Player for a long time now and as the link I give you it will give you all the information you need for the necessary filter to work and I think Windows Media Player will also work with those open source MPEG2 filters.

But I always thought...

;Enable DVD function in Windows Media Player
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings]
"EnableDVDUI"="yes"

was enough for playback of DVD's in WMP...

The open source splitter splits a MPEG file into a video and audio stream >

then being decoded by the open source decoder and most of the times by the AC3 Filter

good luck

After copying CLVSD.ax to your System32 Folder add the following to a batch file:

regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\CLVSD.ax

to register CyberLinks Video Codec.

The above posts merely allow Windows Media Player to play DVD's - but you still need a decoder ;)

@andrewpayne

thanks, this is what I wanted to know... BTW, as I said in my first post, I downloaded the Unattended Codec Pack and I took a look at it but I haven't seen the registry setting you mentionned.

The codec pack is really nice but for my corporate usage, it is too much. I want this PowerDVD codec and maybe the DivX codec but that's all.

Is there a simple minimal way to install DivX as well?

There are two parts to the Unattended Codec Pack 2.2 - the System32 files, which include a codecreg.reg file and the codecs.cmd

codecs.cmd has the following line

regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\divxdec.ax

for divx521

codecs.cmd controls which codec can be added - and I suppose that by commenting out the Quicktime and Real sections - they will not be included. You can then remove their corresponding sub folders under system32.

the codecreg file is also self descriptive - so one should be able to trim this down too.

Quicktime and Real media are the main space-hoggers! ;)