Move Windows Default folders

Wai_Wai

Move Windows Default folders

I would like to move the following folders to a different location (and Wins XP knows about ti and can work with these folders properly!!)

- Desktop

- Recent (which Windows record all my recently opened files)

- Cookies (which is used by IE)

- History (which is used by IE)

- program files directory (ie C:\Program Files by deafault)

Just wonder if it is possible to do.

Thanks for your help.

You can do it with tweakUI or through reg tweaks.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
"Cookies"="D:\\Windows\\Cookies\\"

I think this will change the default directory of cookies (and I don't think the files will be transferred to the new one, right?).

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

But will IE automatically create a new index.dat in the new default directory?

I got the "TweakUI". But it doesn't work well.

First it doesn't move my files to the new directory.

Second, the right-drag folder method does work for most of the time. The windows will complain that it is a special folder and is not allowed to move, or some other errors saing moving cannot be proceeded.

One folder it works is desktop. But sometimes windows will reassign the desktop to its default directory. Then I get 2 desktops. I have to re-move the desktop again to fix the problem.

I don't know how to stop it from happening again.

It is easiest to specify the following three folders with a winnt.sif file in an unattended installation:

C:\Documents and Settings

C:\Program Files

C:\WINDOWS

I change those to the following for the sake of logicality:

C:\Users

C:\Applications

C:\SYSTEM

As for the other shell folders, TweakUI is probably the best option. Upon a fresh installation of Windows, start it in Safe Mode when you have just finished the Windows Setup routine. Then run TweakUI and change the folder paths as required. Move or make copies of the folders you changed the paths of and then reboot in Safe Mode again. Then delete the folders of the old locations and reboot normally.

That should work properly... ;)

It is easiest to specify the following three folders with a winnt.sif file in an unattended installation:

C:\Documents and Settings

C:\Program Files

C:\WINDOWS

From its sound, it implies I cannot change the location after the installation of Win XP, at least I have to find other workaround.

But would you mind to tell me how to tell Wins XP to do so by using winnt.sif, or would you mind to send this one to my address (ie genuinem22-forum________yahoo.com.hk)? :yes:

As for the other shell folders, TweakUI is probably the best option. Upon a fresh installation of Windows, start it in Safe Mode when you have just finished the Windows Setup routine. Then run TweakUI and change the folder paths as required. Move or make copies of the folders you changed the paths of and then reboot in Safe Mode again. Then delete the folders of the old locations and reboot normally.

That should work properly...  ;)

OK. I'll try.

But only desktop folder is available. All other like recent, cookies etc. ar enot provided.