$OEM$ folders not copying during setup

I've been browsing the forum for a past few days making my own xp setup dvd. I'm stuck right at the beginning: getting $OEM folders to copy to the hard drive during setup. I have:

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

inside winnt.sif. I know the sif file is being called because windows xp installs on it's own. I tested the windows auto install setup with success before starting to add to GuiRunOnce. I also added reg tweaks during t-12, with sucess. Now I want to run start.cmd to get windows updates and applications rolling after the first login. During the first login, i get "c:\install\start.cmd is not found" error. The directory structure on the cd is %CDROM%\$OEM$\$1\install. From what I keep reading, everying in the $1 directory should have been copied over to the c drive (that's where i install windows). BUT, no install directory is created at all.

How do I force setup to copy the directory over properly?

I have done forum and web searches. My guess is I'm the only one who can't get the directory to copy over.

My guess is I'm the only one who can't get the directory to copy over
It happens to all of us at the beginning, MCT gave an answer have you tried this?

another thing is there is a way that you dont have to copy all files to the harddrive as this can take a long time. You can run everything from CD. When you get this one going check out the CD way it saves a heck of a lot of time installing. Work your way up to get a good CD going. ;)

I have many copies of various setups