Install by running inf file

nazz

My Nforce sound drivers installs fine. The utility Soundstorm does not install. I see it is in a util folder 1 inf file and some dll and exe files. When I rightclick the inf file and click install, it installs the utility.

Do anyone know how one would run this inf from a command prompt.

I think it is something like "rundll32.exe filename.inf"

Rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %systemdrive%\filename.inf

%systemdrive% = C:\ Which is where the inf is located in my example, change it 4 your specifications

@nazz

It looks like you have an older version of the drivers. The SoundStorm utility does not use INF anymore, plus it has got renamed to NVmixer.

Re-download the new version of drivers, and the new NVmixer uses standard InstallShield procedures.

The 128 mode is to prevent the PC performing a possible reboot without informing you first.

Mode 132 can also be used to do the same thing although there is a slight difference.

As a rule of thumb, use 128 mode when running the inf from a batch /cmdlines.txt and the inf is also in the same directory. Use 132 in all cases where you will need to provide the full path to the inf since it is not in the same directory as the command calling it.

i.e

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\install\settings.inf

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\settings.inf

Microsoft recommend using the full path to your inf in the Rundll..... command.

[EDIT] In the example given by MCT, I would suggest using mode 132 instead of mode 128[/EDIT]

I installed the newer drivers, but prefer to add the soundstorm util because it has 4 speaker support

1. The newer driver, and older utility may not give proper stability, but its your choice....

2. I checked on my NVmixer just now - and it has 4 speaker support! :blink:

But if you still need the old SoundStorm utility, there's one thing to take note of - if you take your CD to a PC that does not have nForce hardware, the SoundStorm might still get installed (which is a problem).

Installing nVidia SoundStorm selectively, has been discussed in these topics:

detect nForce and install SoundStorm

more forum posts about soundstorm

Hoping this helps....