Remote access under windows 2000 pro

Precam

hi all,

i have a computer with windows 2000 pro on it. And i want to make a remote connection to this computer.

I searched all over all in "google" and "altavista" but i couldn`t find any tool which can connect. (and if i found some, it where only "clients") :(

The only tools i found are some like "VNC" or "RAdmin" etc.... but i want to open a seperated session like "remote desktop" under winXP.

MfG

pre

ps : sry for my bad english. ;)

Unfortunately Terminal Services for Remote Administration (what became Remote Desktop with XP/2003) is only in Windows XP and newer, it isn't possible with Windows 2000. You have to use VNC, Remotely Possible, PC Anywhere, or other third party software to control a 2000 Pro system, and it will always be the console of the host system (which is actually all Remote Desktop can do on XP Pro anyway - only Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 Server support connections other than to the console).

BTW - your English is better than my German. :-)

This is one of the things that made "Windows Smart Displays" not successful - that and the fact that they were too small, and too expensive. The fact that you couldn't have more than one user on a system at one time.

I have an HP Media Center Extender, and it is the only thing I'm aware of that can cause more than one user to be logged on to Windows at a time - albeit within the limited constraints of a Media Center Extender session...

I'm with you, Precam - I wish this was possible - for administrative reasons. To be able to log onto a system where a novice user is logged on, and fix things behind the scenes for them would be very useful - but you have to force them to log off (remote desktop, XP Pro only) or share with them (remote assistance, XP Home or Pro)...

• 3 weeks later...

Precam

I just want to double check with you......you are looking to login in to your windows2000 Pro remotly,,,,,Arn't you?. Because I am bit confused with the topic name

"Remte access under windows 2000 pro"

I thought the word "under" is similar to word "from". But I relized you ment : Remote access to your windows 2000 Pro remotly

I was facing same problem ,,,,,I have done alot of googling without finding any useful help ,,,the only thing that I found your query, and thanks for the response from the rest of people

BTW getwired:

and it will always be the console of the host system (which is actually all Remote Desktop can do on XP Pro anyway

could you explain to me little bit

:thumbup Try a new remote access software called I'm InTouch! With this product you can remotely access your home or work PC from

wherever you have a broadband or always-on Internet connection.

This product is cheaper and more secure than Go To My PC or PC anywhere.

You can download a FREE trial at: <http://01ftp.01com.com/wrappers/iit_vb30.exe>

or send me an e-mail at: val.slastnikov@01com.com and I will let you know how to install it.

• 2 weeks later...

I only find there the "client" but no "server" protocol.

I need the server protocol.

//EDIT

ok, i found the answer.... :(

Q. Can I run Terminal Services on my Windows 2000 Professional machine?

A. A Windows 2000 Professional machine cannot be configured as a terminal server. A Windows 2000 terminal server allows a connection from a workstation running Windows 2000 Professional without requiring a Terminal Services CAL. You must also buy a Windows 2000 Server or BackOffice CAL for each device that connects to a Windows 2000 terminal server, including devices running Windows 2000 Professional.

s***..... but thx for your help.

Now could you please let me know:

I am not quite sure about what Precam mentioned:

Q. Can I run Terminal Services on my Windows 2000 Professional machine?

A. A Windows 2000 Professional machine cannot be configured as a terminal server. A Windows 2000 terminal server allows a connection from a workstation running Windows 2000 Professional without requiring a Terminal Services CAL. You must also buy a Windows 2000 Server or BackOffice CAL for each device that connects to a Windows 2000 terminal server, including devices running Windows 2000 Professional.

My queries:

1- Can I access from my windows 2000 Pro (local),any other machine (remote) ? Yes I guess I can if I have any third party program,,Am I right? I know with windows 2000 server and winXP there are utilities for that.

2-Can I access my my windows 2000 Pro (remote),from other machine (local)? I know with windows 2000 server and windowsXP we have to check box for "enable remote login".

Any clue will be really appreciated