Removing MSN Explorer

Keynan

Is there a command to uninstall and remove MSN Explorer (something like:

%windir%\System32\RunDll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove for Windows Messenger)?

I know I can remove it by modifying Windows XP setup files (or just winnt.sif), but I need this for a little batch file for already-installed-OS computers... :P

10x, Ran.

PS: I also know I can remove it from add/remove programs but I need the command 'cause I want it to be automatic, as it will be a part of a batch file!

At first sight, it seems to do NOTHING! (Although I must say I've tested it in a computer which I manually removed MSN Explorer using add/remove programs, and then re-installed it - and tried to remove it again using your command - it did nothing... ):(

10x anyway

I've passed deeply through MSNMSN.INF file and I've found no msnexplr.uninstall part! That's why it didn't do nothing.

msnexplr is present, thogh...

I really need this command ASAP! :unsure:

Please help anyone...

10x again.

look again at msnmsn.inf

[msnexplr.Uninstall]
DelReg         =  Install.DelReg
DelFiles       =  DelFiles.Base,DelFiles.Components,DelFiles.OOBE
UnregisterDlls = OOBE.UnregisterDlls

[DelFiles.Base]
cinfo.xml,,,1
msnsusii.exe,,,1
msnms.ico,,,1
xfp.xml,,,1

[DelFiles.Components]
Msncli.exe,,,1
Digcore.exe,,,1
digopt.msi,,,1
digreqEx.msi,,,1
msnmsgs.msi,,,1

[DelFiles.OOBE]
market.mar,,,1
obelog.dll,,,1
obemetal.dll,,,1
obemtllc.dll,,,1
obepopc.dll,,,1
signup.mar,,,1

[OOBE.UnregisterDlls]
16422,%DEFAULT_FOLDER%\%COREFILES_FOLDER%\%OOBE_FOLDER%,obemetal.dll,1

Basically sayying that the command given is correct, and when issued removes the items in the three referenced sections, and unregisters the referenced dll.

You will of course need to check that the version of MSN you are trying to uninstall is in fact an added optional component and not a downloaded and seperately installed package.

The file attached is my MSNMSN.INF, and as you can see, the part that you added

is NOT in it... What is your file version (mine is 7,02,0005,2202)?? BTW, it's SP2...

mmm... come to think about it, maybe the fact that the SP2 was installed seperately (it's wasn't slipstreamed in the XP setup CD) is causing a problem (maybe two different file versions :unsure:)?!?!

Will try it on a clean setup of Windows, I hope it'll work... I've made an unattended one. I also need it for computer with SP2 that was installed seperately (from the internet or CD....) tough!... :}

msnmsn.inf

Yes they are very different, although mine has no version number, it is from a clean slipstreamed sp2 install.

This basically suggests to me that using the add/remove Windows components is your simplest uninstall method after all.