20b2 installation problem

It isnt an install issue. Its just the way it is. If you read the Notepad Replacement thread, there is a post by Gape that reads:

So the version 2.0 will not contain any Notepad replacement.

However, there was a modified version original Notepad (which has more key-bindings) in the 1.x, I think we don't need this, too.

After thinking that over a little more, maybe the problem is that after installing the service pack the .txt file extension is no longer associated with metapad, but rather with notepad again?

If that is the case then you could easily just shift + right click on a .txt file, then select Open with..., then select metapad from the list of available programs (or browse to the executable if it isnt listed there), make sure the checkbox marked Always use this program to open this type of file is checked off, then hit OK.

Thanks for the reply, but what I mean is Add/Remove Programs still says 1.6.2. and I'm not sure the Service Pack is actually installed.

I have Metapad installed as a Notepad replacement, via a batch file available at metapad homepage, and every previous 98SE Service Pack ressurects Notepad....so I have to run the batch file again.

But not in this instance, which leads me to believe the install didn't proceed normally.

I think, the installation process has some problems, I'm working on it now.

2.0 will not contain any Notepad replacement. But if I can find a good patching program, I will add my enhanced Notepad in the 2.0.

If I use patching technology, it will don't affect your existing Notepad replacement, too. In other words, you don't have to install Metapad, after installing the SP.