Win2003, IIS and FTP

CETY31

I installed WinServer2003 to run as an FTP. After install I download all the Win Updates and then installed IIS along with FTP services. I then configued the FTP the way I wanted it and fired it up. Within my LAN I can access it no problem. However outside (WAN) I get an error message.

FTP FOLDER ERROR:

Windows can not access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Details:

A connection with the server could not be established.

This error was the reason I upgraded from Xp.......I was told that Xp and IIS had issues with Internet Explorer.

My Internet set up is:

Cable Modem going into IAD (voice over IP or internet phone).

From IAD to coumputer (Network card).

My ISP told me I needed to Port forwarded from my IAD to the ftp computer which I did. I changed the port to XXXX because my ISP filters 21.

In Internet Explorer when I type in the public IP with the :xxxx port I get the error message above.........

Can anyone suggest something please.....

My ISP had me on the phone for about 3 hours and then told me that they don't support FTP........basically they didn't know what the problem was...

If they filter port21 it's for a reason. Most ISPs don't allow it (unless you pay for a commercial connection) so they won't support that.

FTP server wise, we could answer your IIS issues, but I think the very best advice anyone could give you is - use another app for that. While IIS is ok for web pages (some prefer apache, but anyways - that's not my point) FTP wise, it's lacking at best. There's tons of good FTP servers out there, and there's even some freeware ones (and I can't imagine one that would suck more than IIS does at that job)

-And that's coming from someone who uses IIS daily at work

Is there third party software (FTP) that will allow you to access the FTP from Web browser. The reason I'm asking is I won't be able to install Client software on my computer at work. That's why I went with IIS.

Maybe the problem is at ur work, at mine the proxy is restrictive for regular user... it deny all site except the one they need to do their job. For directors it allow all site on port 80 only and for IT manager it's non restrictive.

Where's a good idea (assuming ur using IE and non restrictive conneciton)

loosername:passwd@FTP://myadress.com:2121

Loosername = Your user name for the ftp

Passwd = Password

2121 = port of the ftp server

You need tu put the "@" and the ":" for this to work

post-35-1100377413_thumb.jpg

Most FTP servers will let web browsers parse them, in some cases you'll have to let the users log in more than once per IP.

BPFTP server is good, but I like G6 FTP server better (from the same company, just the "bigger brother" version of it), then after comes all the others...

BTW, if you don't have a static IP, you can look into dynamic dns services too.

Thanks for the feed back!!!!

Still have same issue.....I Can access the ftp through my (LAN) but can't access the ftp through (WAN).

I installed the BPFTP and set it up, however I'm having the same problem I was having with IIS-FTP.

Perhaps it has something to do with my IAD. I can access my IAD configuation through 192.168.1.100:8080 and there is a port forwarding option. Even when I configue this no luck.

In my IAD(Voice ip phone) there are some options I not sure about.

1) PPPoE does this need to be enabled or disabled

2) IPSEC should any of the tunnel options be enabled

3) Dynamic Routing

a)RX mode enabled or disabled

b)TX mode enabled or disabled

4) Static Routing should I mess with this settings.

a) subnet mask

B) gateway ip

c) DEST ip address

d) metric

e) interface

i) LAN

ii) WAN1

5) Port Forwarding-What is the protocol

a)BOTH

b)TCP

c)UDP

Thanks

You have to tell ur gateway/router that every request on port 2121 will be redirected to your server ip.

by exemple:

My IP is : 24.200.200.35

My FTP server IP is: 192.168.2.99

My FTP server is listening on port : 2121

look at the picture

post-35-1100559321_thumb.jpg

My IAD is my Voice IP phone. Sometimes called internet phone. Basically it is a router/gateway. I can access the IAD and port forward with it also.

I would be glad to print screen the setup......however not sure how to print screen.

Thanks