Office 2003 - Slipstreaming

Hello,

I use the MSFN guide to slipstream my Office 2003 SP1.

It is a real nice and friendly guide to use. :thumbup However, regarding the updtaes, i need more info.

Slipstreaming Updates (Section2)

I've downloaded

office2003-kb870765-fullfile-enu.exe

MUI2003SP1CD1-kb843187-fullfile-enu.exe

MUI2003SP1CD5-kb843187-fullfile-enu.exe

1) Except the .msp file, there are 3 more files (ofotfix.exe, ofotfixr.dll, ofotfix.ini) Do they not needed to be extracted to C:\O2003updates\ folder???

2) As you notice here above, i have 2 updtaes for the MUI office 2003 SP1. Do I add them to the slipstream updates?

In fact, in normal installation, the Office appz is installes first, then the MUI pack and finally the MUI update.

What if, i slipstream Office +MUISP1 update,

the installation start with the office, then the updtaes (MUI SP1 updtae included), and finally the MUI pack.

Am I right???

TNX for yr help

coucou

Good Job VAD :thumbup

Thank you!

As you're familiar with the MUI, may i ask you 2 questions.

1) Could I apply this same guide for slipstreaming (integrating) WinXP MUI SP2 with Cumulative Help Update for Microsoft Windows XP Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Pack (KB841625).

or you have an improval WinXP SP2 MUI slipstreaming guide.

2) I'm preparing a DVD unattended WinXP SP2 + WinXP SP2 MUI + Office 2003 SP1 + Office 2003 SP1 MUI + other appz.

Could I use the Method 2 - Setup.ini of your Office 2003 MUI installation guide???

Regards

coucou

coucou

1. In addition to the Help update, there are also WMP and WMM updates for MUI. To answer your first question: no, I have neither tried to integrate them nor to install with the silent switches. I performed unattended installs of MUI before the SP2 release. If they use update.exe, then I'd imagine you can integrate them into the source. Command line switches. M$ hasn't integrated them though, perhaps there's a reason for it. Let's look into this problem together. I just reinstalled the system, and haven't installed VMWare yet. I'll do some testing Sunday or Monday. I can also contact some members on the Russian board. I guess some of them played with MUI updates. Meanwhile, please post your findings.

2. Personally, I don't use MUI, and the guide was written by the popular demand ;-) I've performed a few successful unattended installations of Windows MUI from cmdlines.txt

[COMMANDS]
".\WinMUI\muisetup.exe /i 0419 /d 0419 /l /f /r /s"

0419 is the Russian language ID. The switches are explained in the MUI help file. You have to replace the original muisetup.exe with the muisetup.exe file from SP2. You can run the setup with the same switches from RunOnceEx. The only difference is with cmdlines.txt method you get the interface in your language upon the first logon.

As for the setup.ini method for the Office 2003 installation... Yeah, it should work. Just look into Files\Setup\setup.ini file. You'll find that it's similar to the MUI setup.ini one. You'll need to specify the path to your MST file. I use setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb- method.

I've downloaded WMP and WMM updates and ran them with the /? switch. They support the /Q switch for the quiet installation. I think you can run them at the first logon or even from cmdilines.txt. The Help update supports /quiet and /integrate switches, so you can try to integrate it into the MUI source.

Post back, if any of the above worked for you.

Hi VAD,

First of all TNX for yr help.

I notice that the size of the Slipstreamed/Integrates SP1 MUI has multiplied by 3.

In fact, the Office2003 MUI (1036/French)= 93.4MB

The MUI2003SP1CD[*French part only]-kb843187-fullfile-enu.exe file (*MUISP1_FRAff.msp)= 20MB

After slipstream/integration= 290MB

How it's possible???

Is there any how to decrease that size???

BTW, same for Office2003 + SP1, I'll open a new post for that.

Regards

coucou

I notice that the size of the Slipstreamed/Integrates  SP1 MUI has multiplied by 3.

In fact, the Office2003 MUI (1036/French)= 93.4MB

The  MUI2003SP1CD[*French part only]-kb843187-fullfile-enu.exe file (*MUISP1_FRAff.msp)= 20MB

After slipstream/integration= 290MB

I don't know. I didn't have that problem. The size hasn't changed after integrating the MUI. If you logged the slipstream procedure, check the log file.

BTW, same for Office2003 + SP1, I'll open a new post for that.
Very strange. I'll follow up on that thread too.

coucou

I have to apologize for misleading you in the previous post. I just looked in the wrong directory on my HDD :) Well, the size of the MUI installation directory will increase after your create the administrative installation point. If you compare the directories of the original MUI and the admin point MUI, you'll see that the MuiXXXX.cab is gone from the original MUI dir. I assume it gets extracted into the Files\pfiles directory.

I don't really pay attention to the file size, because I use DVDs for unattended installation. I'm yet to run into the space problems with 4.4gb capacity :) Generally, if you plan to install Office and MUI, you'd need another CD. Particularly with MUI... you can create a silent SFX archive with WinRar or 7-zip, and specify the command to execute after extracting. The command would point to the setup.exe. For example, for WinRar the Comment would be something like

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%windir%\Temp
Setup=%windir%\Temp\setup.exe
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

By using this approach you'll get back to the original MUI size.

Hi VAD,

I didn' forgot you. I'm trying to get more details.

You are right, as I created an admin point MUI, I NO MORE see any .cab files.

I let you know when i have more infos.

BTW, I'm planing to use a DVD for unattended installation. As you already have a tested working DVD and, I'm not specially familiar with the winnt.sif runonce batch files...

Would you please PM/email me a copy of yr winnt.sif and batch files??? XXXX all your personal codes of course.

Regards

coucou

I thought the SP1 pack for MUI of Office 2003 wasnt available yet....

(From Microsoft site)

To install when using an Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack

For complete Office 2003 SP1 functionality if you are using an Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI), you will need to install both of the following:

* Office 2003 SP1 (this download)

* Office 2003 SP1 for Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack – available at a later date

Microsoft