Naming your computer automatically

I searched these forums for an easy solution to automatically naming my pc during the unattended installation but didn't find anything that really helped.

I'm happy to say that I have finally found a great tool that allows you to name your pc during the unattended installtion based on

1) A reverse lookup against your DNS server, this will allow you to name your pc according to what it was named prior to rebuild, providing the PTR (reverse lookup) record existed for it

2) By mac address from a text file

3) By the logged in user

any many more...

If this tool hasn't been covered already, then I'd recommend everyone has a look at it, it works like a charm!

http://mytoolsandstuff.tripod.com/wsname.html

its not dynamic though is it. If you have multiple computers building from the same unattended installation they are all going to have the same name using that method, which as you should know causes havok on networks

Thanks ixion !

In corporate environment with branded computers, you could also use ENGL Zcnc Lite 1.3.

Zcnc Lite 1.3 is the only ZENworks computer name changer that can extract the serial number or any other WMI property. Using the /wmi switch, any WMI class and property can be specified, i.e. the Dell asset tag can be extracted.

works even if you're not in a Novell Network Environment.

You must complete an englNet registration form before downloading this freeware.