XP activation problems

Gratwin

I've just reinstalled XP using nlite and come across a sticking point. I can't activate windows!?!?

It comes up with the icon but when I click on it nothing happens.. Is this becuase I removed IE?

Now solving this as far as I can tell I should have copied

c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl

and then overwrite this once XP was installed. But to get that now, that'd mean installing a bloated copy of windows again..

at this point I want someone to tell me if there is an easier way lol .. much as I love my computer 1 install of XP per weekend is enought for me :}

If I remember corectly removing IE you won't be able to activate Windows.

I think i've read this on this forum or in nlite when you choose what components

to remove.

You should rebuid your nlited cd without removing IE.

Hope it helps.

Thats what I'm thinking..

I can rebuild the nlite CD and the use XPlite afterwards to remove the components needed to activate windows...

I couldn't find a thread to say what components I needed to have remaining in order to activate windows

• 1 month later...

Yes - If you remove IE before activating Windows, it will cause errors. Activate windows, restart, than remove IE via Control Panel. Works best with SP1 or higher.

I know so from my preview mistakes :blushing:

Or you could use the Corp Edition of Windows and not have to worry about Activation... :whistle: