Roaming Profiles

Ashimema

Roaming Profiles, i just can't seem to get them to work!

Here's what i'm trying to do.

I have two computers and four users. Each users needs access to both computers, and their private profiles. Therfore i thought roaming was the best setup! I was going to try to have two users served from one pc, and the other two users profiles served from the second PC. (Both comps will be on permanently)

My Problem, i can't seem to get an user profiles to work as Roaming one's. I've been useing a tet profile as a configuration dummy. I've followed the Instuctions here and tried the NT instruction here, aswell as the article in the Windows XP Pro Help and Support Centre.

I always get an error, saying the computer cannot locate the user profile. then an error saying there is no local user profile, and the temporary user profile is created, then deleted upo logoff.

Any help would bemuch appreciated.

Ashimema

Oh, I was under the impression that roaming profiles could infact be hosted, served, by XP Pro mechines. Am i wrong in this assumtion?

As for permissions, i don't believe i missed anything there. In my test model i have a partition on the mechine set to serve the profile set as shared accross the network, and then all folders under it, (i.e a RoamingProfiles) folder are therfore shared? Is this correct?

Thanks for your help, if i work out how it's done, or infact just find that you are correct in thinking that only Windows Server editions can host profiles i will report this it back so other do not make my mistake

Ashimema

YOu can do roaming profiles on two PC'#s, as longa s they are in the same workgroup.

It is also down to the correct configuration of the user profile.

It is explained well and clearly in the book =>

Microsoft Windows2000 Pro Expert Companion.

I know it says win2k, but the principle will be same for XP.

• 3 weeks later...