iTunes Silent setup

alcium

hello

sorry if this is an already seen post but I couldn't find any info working for me to install itunes silently

the /S /v /qn switch won't work and always report an error 3 in the install log

maybe beacause QuickTime is already installed on some computers ...

I can't figure out how I can make it to work fine

so please any help would be great

i had a similar problem and posted about it sometime last week i think. the answer i got was this:

first run itunessetup.exe with the flag /R. this creates a setup.iss file in the windows directory. this file basically describes what options you chose in the install. make a backup of it, and then the /S /v /qn switch will work (as long as the iss file is still in the windows directory. the same trick works (i think) with the ipod system software setup.

since in my unattended cd i have both programs install, i store each iss file in the same dir as the installer, and do a

cmd /C copy sourcefile %windir%/setup.iss

in my runonceex batch.

hope this helps!

oh, btw i dont think quicktime matters much, but you're gonna want to have it not installed prior to making the iss file, because if it is one option during the setup wont appear and therefore wont get recorded.

indeed this is my real trouble,

I already made multiple tries with the setup.iss file but it never worked (working with a hundred, or thousand I never remember the good one for 100, with each different configs and setups)

thanks anyway

• 2 weeks later...

an advance in some ways ...

the -3 response in the logfile means I do not have enough information in the iss file

so it could be because quicktime's already installed on some systems...

I'll continue my investigations

One thing that should be mentioned is that if youre performing the installation of itunes directly from the cd (in other words you dont copy all your software to the hard drive prior to install) and youre using the setup.iss file, you need to make sure you add the following parameter:

-f2\"%systemdrive%\iTunes.log\"

Using the setup.iss creates a log file and obviously if youre installing directly from your UA cd, youll need to tell the installer to place the log file on the hard drive someplace...