My first server questions.

jpatto

Guys, Im thinking of buying a server and im quite lost with what i need and what i dont need. As you all know speaking to a sales advisor is simply useless as all they will do is push you for the most expensive one and make it out that you need everything. So i have come across a few questions.

My requirements for a server is to store data (such as files, documentation that uses up a lot of space on my laptop) and probably have my laptop connected to it when required. I may think about creating a profile so if other users connect to it (using my laptop) i have set the profile on the server. Max users would be 3/4.

I probably be running Windows server 2003 trial version to see if its of any use to me.

I need to know what the following are and what they do please:

1. Hyper-Threading technology

2. DIMM sockets

3. Tape Backup Options

4. Non-Hot Swap for hard-drives

5. 2 x PCI Express (x8, x1 connectors)

6. Drive Controllers

7. Embedded 2 x SATA

8. Software-based SATA or SCSI RAID

9. SCSI or IDE/SATA

Also ill be using a remote desktop connection to connect to the server as it will have no monitor.

Thanks for your help.

for your needs, a Microsoft® Windows® - Powered NAS may be the solution.

NAS is a category of storage devices that attaches directly to a network, allowing clients to access the storage as if it were directly attached to their system. The technique bypasses traditional server attached storage. Storage becomes accessible to users directly across the network and much of the overhead imposed by server and operating system intervention is removed to improve performance.

Here some infos but there is a lot of others NAS manufacturers.

Iomega® Microsoft® NAS (Network Attached Storage) Comparison Chart

HP StorageWorks NAS 500s

Network Attached Storage (NAS) manufacturers

HT technology isn't needed for servers.

Hot Swap + RAID controler may help in case of hardware failure of one of the HDD's.

SATA or SCSI HDD's may improve performance.

Tape Backup is recommended to save your data on removable media.

MCT - now why didnt i think of those links???????????? mmmmmm probably because i needed a simple answer rather than a huge explanation and a huge explanation if i know the simple answer is worth reading up on. Thanks anyway. Ive added to them my favourites :thumbup

Bilou_Gateux - Thanks very much that helped. Ill read up on NAS and the other links provided. Again thanks

1. Hyperthreading technology: don't know exactly but I think something to do with enhanced capablity to run processes/programs simultaneously. Anyhow you don't need this for a file server like in your case.

2. DIMM sockets: the sockets for putting in memory modules. The more, the better.

3. Tape backup options: ??? you need to be more specific.

4. Non-hot swap: hot-swapable means you can connect and disconnect the drives while the computer is running. So with non-hotswappable drives you need to shut down the computer first before (dis)connecting them.

5. PCI-Express: new, faster kind of PCI slot for putting in expansion cards. I know PCI-Express videocards are already available, don't know about any others, but probably will be available in the future.

6. Drive controllers: the chip/connectors used to connect the drives to like IDE/ATA, SATA, SCSI. Drives need to be compatible with this.

7. Embedded 2x SATA: built-in-to-the-motherboard Serial ATA connectors.

8. Software based RAID: non-chip based RAID capability. This is therefore more CPU-dependent. RAID is used for mirroring (backup in case one drive fails) or striping (speed) or both. For this there need to be at least 2 drives.

9. SCSI or IDE/SATA: drive connectors. I would go for SCSI or SATA, these are both faster than IDE, although SCSI can be (a lot) more expensive. A lot of companies still tend to choose for SCSI because it has already proven itself.

Thanks Don Juan. By question 2 i mean what is a tape backup option? it sounds as if its backing up something so im unsure if i need this option or not or whether i can do without it.

Would you recommend building a server or just buying one ready made?

Thanks

Well, building one of your own can be cheaper, more fun and you get to know more about the server and the way everything works, which can be handy in case you get into trouble later.

On the other hand you need to know what you're doing ofcourse, you could damage the hardware which could make it more expensive in the end. Buying a pre-built-one is probably more expensive and could save you a lot of time ofcourse.

Seeing you don't know what all this hardware is I would suggest you buy a ready made one. If you want to know how to build one of your own I would start with a somewhat less ambitious project :) Try to upgrade a computer from time to time until you know the basics. Most importantly: read a lot! When I plan to buy something new, I usually start buying a lot of computermagazines and reading reviews a few months in advance. In short try to gather as much information as you can. This forum is a good start. :thumbup

About the tape backup option. It probably means you can have a tape streamer built in if you want to back up your stuff to tape. If it's not for commercial use or anything that important lI would not use it. Go for RAID 1 (mirroring) or better, RAID 5 (if possible) or simply use two drives without RAID and frequently copy your data from one to the other by hand or have it done automatically. You can always burn data to a rewritable DVD or CD in case oyu want to store it somewhere else. This is much cheaper and a lot less expensive. Unless you want to backup hundreds of Gigs at at a time, then tape would be better. An extra removable harddrive could also be a good and cheap alternative.

Hi,

Do you really need a server ?

With the requirments you have said a Win XP pro machine should do the job. Why spend all that money if you dont need to.

How much data will you be storing ?

Will users be accessing it at the same time ?

What functions to you require? (Application deployment, Security control or just as a backup)

I suspect even a networked harddriive system would better suit your needs.

hail hail

Do you really need a server ?

With the requirments you have said a Win XP pro machine should do the job. Why spend all that money if you dont need to.

How much data will you be storing ?

Will users be accessing it at the same time ?

What functions to you require? (Application deployment, Security control or just as a backup)

I suspect even a networked harddriive system would better suit your needs.

hail hail

Yes i believe i need a server.

I appreciate your suggestion however Ive not mentioned everything i would be using this server for since there would be a max of 5 people connecting.

so far i have 50GB of data stored on different DVD RW's so having that in one location would be very convenient. I do believe that figure would rise.

Functions - Well i'll have to read up on that but mainly storage and possibly a profile to allow users access rights to certain programs etc etc.

Network hard drive - maybe !!!! however i dont want to spend money and realise if i spent a little more i could have a lot more which is why i wanna get as much info as i need before getting a server.

Thanks

Hi, sounds to me like you should contact PC world or some place similar. These places can offer a ready made server with support if you choose. I would go down this street if I was in your shoes as to ask this question suggest you have limited server experience. Just rememeber you will be looking aat the guts of three thousand pounds to get you started.

As for backup solution, well if you have 50gig already the cheapest option would be sonys AIT it will deliver about 130gb backup compressed. And 50gb native. after that you are looking at a SDLT 160/320gb.

AIT = £450

SDLT = £1700

Sorry this is not very helpfull but I think you need to define your requirments more.

hail hail

There is a lot of setting up and maintenance to a server.

However in your case and with your knowledge, buying a ready made server would be your best option. And you dont need to spend £1000 on a server.

I have some dell servers, they are good value and they will customise them for you. For an entry level system i would suggest: Dell Poweredge 1800

I have 3 of the 1850 servers which are the 1U rack mounted versions of the 1800. The rack versions are more expensive than the standard tower range, but with all Dell machines, you do get a quality bit of kit ! :D

Dell Servers

Hope this is a help! :thumbup

Hi, sounds to me like you should contact PC world or some place similar. These places can offer a ready made server with support if you choose. I would go down this street if I was in your shoes as to ask this question suggest you have limited server experience. Just rememeber you will be looking aat the guts of three thousand pounds to get you started.

I think jpatto just needs some assistance on servers. Although Dell are good i personally dont like them or their staff anymore, but if you can handle siht service go for it.

I noticed the title- thats why i read this post. So you dont need to spend 3000 pounds to get you started (Brian873 - if thats how much you need to get started on a server well come to me please when you need a professional server and ill definately give you a "bargain" price ;) ) Go for a cheap one or a decent one once you know what your doing expand on it. Were hear to help so post any questions you have.

::Dell and Rodney

Sure would like to get things on the cheap. At the moment I am looking for...

server

250gb capacity

1gb ram

min - xeon 2.2ghz

backup device (tape stremer)

running a Windows 2003 (25 user) OS

can you let me know ?

thanks for the good info....this site rocks !

hail hail

250gb capacity

1gb ram

min - xeon 2.2ghz

backup device (tape stremer)

running a Windows 2003 (25 user) OS

Well brian873 comparing to a 3000 thousand pound "starting" server this is the best deal for you:

17000 pounds :rolleyes:

how about that? and on top of that youll get a gold star from this site when you hit 50 - excellent deal i guess only for a person with your limits. :thumbup

::Dell and Rodney

You are the first person I have came across here that is, well lets say not very helpfull.

Why post when you have nothing to offer apart from barra'loads of crap.

If you read the whole post you will see JPATTO thinks he needs a proper server. Not a high spec PC knocked up from the local discount PC shop.

hail hail