Running BootVis from cleanup.cmd?

So here's the setup, I'm trying to launch bootvis and have it do a system prep using this command...

"%systemdrive%\Program Files\Microsoft Bootvis\BootVis.exe -prepsystem"

However, my cleanup.cmd file has a 45 second timer to it (which gives Windows enough time to do everything before being shut down. But running the -prepsystem command gives you only 10 seconds before it will shut down the system.

So what code could I use to make these two play nice together?

I copy the one file bootvis.exe to %sytemroot%\System32 and call it like you did

Simply add it to the very last thing Cleanup.cmd does

It then don't matter if it boot's in 10 or 45, cleanup has done it's thing and normaly it boot's into the desktop but bootvis is running so don't matter cause cleanup should be rebooting it anyway's.

Ah, I like your way better. That's what I like about these forums, you always find a better way to do things. Thanks for the help.

I was just worried that getting the Cleanup.cmd to reboot the machine before everything was loaded, might cause problems. But yeah, putting the command at the end, ensures that everything else is done first. Then instead of waiting 45seconds (on my build, I have seen the majority of people use 1 minute), after everthing is done, only 10 seconds (course the desktop seems to still be loading). Just so everyone else who reads this post might want to know, here is what I did...

1. Install Bootvis.

2. Copy the Bootvis.exe file to your $$\System32 folder.

3. add the following to the end of your Cleanup.cmd file (before the EXIT command)...

start /wait %systemroot%\System32\Bootvis.exe -prepsystem

Now you might have to wait a bit on the next bootup, as Bootvis is checking and optimising your system. Well worth it if you ask me.

Now I need to find that post about using Diskeeper to optimize my system on first boot as well.

There's a proverb in Japan, "One that believes will be relieved."

If you believe it will speed up your system, its better to use it. But if you don't don't use it.

As Metzen says, bootvis gives you the difference in speed so you can use it to check how fast your system boots too. Anyway, I don't think it will harm you or your computer so its better off trying! :rolleyes:

If you use it and choose optimize system, well yes it does seem to work. It optimizes the way things are loaded and I do see a speed increase after using it. Especially after you been running for awhile and have added a bunch of stuff.

Just try it for yourself is best thing. Might help. Proof is in the pudding.